Marhsall TSL

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TimD, Jan 15, 2006.

1. TimD

TimD Member

I've got a three channel Marshall TSL that will not switch from the clean channel to the two additional od channels. I tried replacing the preamp tubes to no avail. I pulled the chassis to see if any of the 100000000 connections had come loose and noticed that when you manually depress the channel selection switch, there is a noticable "click" coming from somewhere near the OT??
    Also, when the amp is off standby and the switch is depressed, there is an audible "pop" that comes through the speakers?
    Anyone have a clue as to what this may be? I'm hoping there may be a quick, inexpensive solution before calling in an amp tech.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Tim

2. TimD

TimD Member

Bump. Any ideas or where I can get some additional help??

Thanks,
    Tim

3. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

It sounds like a bad relay or abnormal voltage/connection to the relays

4. jockman

jockman Member

I had the exact same problem with my TSL122, ended up having to send it back to Marshall to get some bits replaced, namely relays.

Jon

5. mcalo42

mcalo42 Member

6. kbphx

kbphx Member

I have a friend who's on his 3rd or 4th footswitch with his TSL100. From what I understand, it's fairly common for them to fail. You might take yours into a shop where you can try a different footswitch, or borrow one.

7. asdfasdf

asdfasdf Guest

I've had the TSL for six years and to some extent, a slight click and pop is normal. Mine had it too. It never got any worse, so it didn't bother me.

The footswitch is known to be unreliable and to break often. Don't know if they ever changed something with the design etc.

8. Beer

Beer Member

I would experiment with the footswitch some, but you already wrote that even manually you have a problem..... It sounds like a relay issue. I'd bring it to a local tech, first checking if it's covered under warantee still, in which case Marshall will probably direct you to your nearest authorized tech.

If you want to look under the hood more closely, this page has a bunch of schematics, including TSLs.

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

Since there's a lot going on in there, I wouldn't attempt anything myself. I'd try to find the relays on the schematics and inside the amp, also identify as many components as I could, just for my own information, see if you can't see visible problems with the relays (burnt?).