Marillion

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Headshok, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Headshok

Headshok Member

I have been on a three day listening binge to Marillion. Absolutely brilliant song-writing, lyrics, and total mastery on their instruments. I discovered them by accident in the 80's when I was a metalhead (still am) I would buy Kerrang magazine to get the latest scoop on metal bands and the albums to buy. Well, lo and behold, one mag had Marillion listed as the number one act in England at the time. I thought they were metal, ordered "Fugazi" from Retrospect Records in Walnut Creek CA, and waited in anticipation of what I thought would be the heaviest band in the universe. Surprise, they were the heaviest band in the universe but not in a way I expected. "Fugazi" for me was transformational. The lyrics talked about things that I knew and places I had been. References to things like "Brixton Chess" and "door to door Belsens", and "unsheathe the blade with the voice". Good Lord, no one at the time was telling stories like that. I was hooked and even after "Fish" left, I loved Hogarth just as much and still think they are one of the greatest prog-rock bands ever. And for Rothery to get those soaring leads from a Fender Squier just amazed me. He is without a doubt one of the most undersung guitarists of all time. They are in my top-three bands of all time with PF/David Gilmour holding down the number one spot and Tool tied with Rush for number three. I always wondered why we never heard them here and why they were not just outright legends across all continents. I read their story and there is not one thing I could point to and say, "If they had just done that one thing, they would be legends." Is it that the time they appeared in the 80'd we were not impressed with stellar musicianship and just coming out of the punk and disco era? Anyway, this is an eargasm for me on a great song. Beautiful lyrics, great guitar and Hogarths vocals are wonderful!

2. Headshok

Headshok Member

Another wonderful song

Jimi1983 likes this.
  3. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Whenever I have said to a fellow progger that I liked Marillion, they always ask the Fish/Hogarth question... and I never have a better answer than yes, both are very good. Then he will ask me the same question about Fates Warning, and then I realize why I don't talk to other prog fans.

johann and Jimi1983 like this.
  4. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

"Son watches father scan obituary columns, in search of absent school friends..."

johann likes this.
  5. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

Always been on of my favorites. As a Rush fan, this band is a closed second for me. I really haven't given the Steve Hogarth (no particular reason) period a chance but I love the Fish years.

Jimi1983 likes this.
  6. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws are still two of my favorite albums.

7. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

8. Headshok

Headshok Member

That lyric still gives me chills after all these years...especially the quivering, emotional timbre Fish sang it in

ak301 likes this.
  9. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

Great band, extremely nice guys.
    Been a huge fan since 1985.
    Steve Rothery is an absolutely amazing guitarist.
    Also - Basically invented crowd funding online.

Jimi1983 and madmarcus1960 like this.
  10. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

Afraid of Sunlight and Brave do it for me. Pete T is an amazing bassist, one of the best, and Rothery is mistakenly invisible in the conversations about great prog guitarists. I like the Fish years, I love the Howgie years. Poppier yes, but a stronger voice than Fish'd JMHO.

Love their new business model. Let the fans finance new music and tours.

11. scott944

scott944 Member

One of my faves. Another great song...

Waylander, Mike R. and Jimi1983 like this.
  12. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

13. ak301

ak301 Member

Oh I loved Marillion

Being English I was already familiar with the hits, but I really got into them when I heard Cover My Eyes as a 12 year old just getting into guitar
    I bought the album and Rothery became one of my early primary influences
    Seasons End, Holidays in Eden, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight and This Strange Englne have amazing songs and guitar moments on there

I kind of lost interest when they got the heavy Radio head influence and a friend introduced me to Andrew Latimer of Camel
    A huge influence on Rothery, but plays with way more fire. In fact hearing him spoilt Rotherys playing for me to a degree, still great guitar but Latimer seemed to say more

Either way Marillion and Rothery are, and always will be very important to me

Waylander and Jimi1983 like this.
  14. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

"Tolkein Rock" is very English, and by the late 70s and the 80s very niche. A legacy they're kinda stuck with.

15. ak301

ak301 Member

Have you heard anything with the Hogarth singing?

porcytree and johann like this.
  16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Other than the name's origins and the very early "Grendel" track, there was never anything "Tolkein" about Marillion.

17. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

Kayleigh/Marillion = Babe/Styx. 2 bands that were way better than the sappy pop ballads they are most remembered and/or reviled for. Styx was a major player in '70s prog but that damn song....

Serious Poo likes this.
  18. tnvol

tnvol Member

I didn't know they were still a band. Other than seeing them mentioned here every so often they were just a band that made me change the channel on MTV back in the 80s.

19. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

I was going to write this, exactly.

20. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

Same as OP, I was a young American kid reading Kerrang!, buying it from the local import record shop reading about all the great NWOHM Bands in England at the time. Kept reading about Fish, and their name. Later bought Misplaced Childhood and was blown away. Haven't follwed them much after, but I have heard a few songs that peak my interest from Hogarth era. Good time to take a deep dive, thanks for giving me a reason! White Feather, the whole pace of the album was magic.....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019 at 12:50 PM
    CBHTele likes this.