Mark Agnesi Redemption: Play authentic video was CMO idea!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mickey_C, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

jjboogie, tele4444, SimAlex and 9 others like this.
  2. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

He could have chimed in sooner.

3. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

And he's just now coming forward? I mean, that's almost as bad a decision as the original video. The whole thing could have been put to rest almost immediately if he had just said this on day one.

Mark Agnesi took *a lot* of heat on this, unnecessarily.

RayRay, valvestate, RCCola and 22 others like this.
  4. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

“We want our fans to buy our guitars because they believe we are making the highest quality instruments and that they are made to a higher quality standard than any other manufacturer. And all we wanted to do was to protect them from anything that could be misleading.”

Gibson fans need protection?

5. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

I think most people realized this wasn't Agnesi's decision to do this video of his own free will. He's a Gibson employee, he has his bosses. He just ended up being the unfortunate scapegoat in this.

Gibson could have soothed a lot of outrage by actually addressing it right out of the gate. Instead, they skirted around the issue, refusing to talk about it until now.

6. Ferg Deluxe

A guy hired to be the spokesmouth for a company with image issues is the best thing to happen since Ted Friggin' McCarty???
    I think he meant protection from fake Gibsons being passed off as real.

808, JohnSykes, guff and 40 others like this.
  7. NicDo

NicDo Member

Where was he when it all hit the fan?
    He kind of just let Mark take the heat- and not everyone who remembers this fiasco will hear who's idea that was.

8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Maybe it took him this long to figure out there had been an issue. Busy man and all that.

9. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

He's doing a **** job of being a chief marketing officer if that kind of marketing kerfuffle went unnoticed.

edit: I've been corrected it's chief -merchant- but equally stupid as any c-level.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  10. captwillard

captwillard Member

The reality is that it wasn't a big of an issue to most people.

11. Ferg Deluxe

My thoughts exactly. Then when I read that his title is "Chief Merchant Officer" I just shook my head and closed the tab.

Billy Van Beck, gerg6, Whogo and 5 others like this.
  12. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

I know what he meant. He wants the public to only buy new Gibsons from authorized dealers. Wonder why?

13. Ferg Deluxe

You can try to pull the old "these aren't the droids you're looking for" Jedi mind trick, but this indeed was a big deal. That's why he's apologizing for it, months and months after it originally happened. It was a stupid look for a company trying desperately to change it's image, and it was a huge fail. It may not have been a big deal for you but that's beside the point.

14. captwillard

captwillard Member

It absolutely wasn't a big deal. You can fake outrage all you want. Outside of a couple of forums (with relatively small memberships), nobody cared.

15. Catatafish

Catatafish Member

My thoughts exactly. I'm still trying to figure out why everyone got so butt hurt over this video campaign. I saw the video, thought "meh" and kept scrolling....I read nothing into it other than wondering if that talking head (Agnesi) played guitar or not. The whole thing has absolutely zero to do with any Gibson purchasing decision I'll ever make.

marshall2288, Rod, Solo996 and 13 others like this.
  16. Ferg Deluxe

I think we all get that. I don't even have a problem with Gibson's stance here -- they have a right, and a duty, to protect their IP. But you don't start threatening people with lawsuits in a commercial for your new brand identity. I don't know of many companies who combine their branding efforts with outright threats to their competition in the same message.

spentron, GreatSatan, Rod and 6 others like this.
  17. Ferg Deluxe

No fake outrage here, but nice try. I still remain a fan of the company, and happily play my awesome R8 whenever I can.

I'm very very interested in marketing, the art and science behind it, branding, etc. And as a marketing example, this one is very interesting. You can bet other companies took notice. Again, you may not think it was a big deal, but all evidence to the contrary you are wrong.

18. mschafft

mschafft Member

Interesting. The Gibson drama has plenty of sustain.

19. cuttyshark

cuttyshark Member

The fact hey hire people into positions called "Director of Brand Experience" and "Chief Merchant Officer" confirms (for me) that this company is deep into the smoke and mirrors phase of its existence. The end is in sight

Billy Van Beck, JEE, 2pods and 12 others like this.
  20. captwillard

captwillard Member

Why is it that the only time I heard about it was by the TGP mob out for blood? I havent heard one peep at guitar shops, concerts, record stores, etc... Yoiu know, the real world.