1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mark Bartel's 2x12 holographic projector

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lv, Sep 7, 2005.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've owned lots of high end 2x12 cabs (Dr. Z, THD, Germino, Bogner oversize, Jenkins Hwy 61, Two-Rock Large and small, Tone Tubby oval port) and Mark's cab is truly one of the very best - lightweight with superb build quality (dovetail corner joints, finished interior, separate mounted holders for the speakers wires, high quality speaker wire). The cab sounds broken in right out of the box, exceptionally balanced, smooth and full throughout the frequency range and has a wonderful give when you hit it hard. The spread is three dimensional and huge as is the cab which is almost entirely open back and has a ported front, and a slanted baffle which angles the speakers upwards.

The speakers are rated at 60 watts each and have hemp cones - Mark told me they are designed to have the mids and lows of an old greenback, with the top end of an Alnico speaker. They are also designed to get darker/smoother when you hit them hard. Many of the cabs I have owned work really well for clean OR distorted tones, or do average on both. This cab sounds stunning with both tones - thick, creamy and spongy with the Avenger, and tight, punchy and sparkly with the Meteor.

Mark doesn't make too many 2x12 cabs as his customers seem to prefer the combo's but I highly recommend anyone in the market for a nice 2x12 to check his stuff out (he does them in black, brown, cream, I think he will do whatever color you want) - these cabs are so underrated, simply because there aren't that many out there, but I think if more guys were able to compare the Tone King to the Dr. Z, Bogner, THD etc cabs they would be pleasantly surprised. This cab works well with Fender and modded Marshally hi gain tones but I also think it would be a perfect match for a Fuchs or Two-Rock with its wide, blanaced bandwidth. At $600 these are cheaper than many of the high end cabs mentioned and the construction is equal to if not better. I don't know if I would pick this cab for metal or real aggressive stuff, but for blues/jazz/rock and even heavy rock tones it excels.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up on this cab....sounds very interesting!

Unusal design, too....open back and ported front.

3. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Mark has always had a keen interest in cab design...and I think he hit one out of the park with this one!
    There is probably a Meteor II/212 rig in my future.
    S.
    j

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Thought you guys might appreciate these pics, from some of my visits with Mark, of his shop and wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

6. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

interesting, his 2x12 wired as a 4 ohm cab ? his 1x12 appears to be similar design but 8 ohm.

are his speakers custom made Emi's ?

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yes.

8. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Got any pictures of your cab?
    link to Mark's site?

Thx

Richard

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'll take some of the back - it is meticulously constructed and finished even on the inside!

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Very tasty, Lou.

Best, Pete.

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

13. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Someone got a new guitar. :D

- DB

14. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have no doubts that this cab sounds great if you guys say so. I will argue that those little 1inch holes don't act as ports for sound. They are too small and the cab is so wide open in the back that there is no sound pressure left to go through those holes. They might have an effect of loosening up the baffle making it less stiff and there by smoothing out the sound. But pass sound through those holes. I don' t think so.

I did play a combo and I was very impressed a great sounding amp. :dude

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

I don't know what they do, all I know is the cab sounds great! :D

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

lol, you noticed!:)

17. trisonic

trisonic Member

Lou,

These amp don't have Masters right? I wondered whether he did a non-Master Clean and a Mastered drive channel.

Yeah, I used to hate Masters but they are useful (good ones - although I can hear Hogy grinding his teeth at me).

Best, Pete.

18. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Grrrrr8 looking rig!!! Woo! Bet is sounds great to. Congrats Lou.

19. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

No MV anywhere on the amp. Part of the reason they sound so taaaaaas-teeeeee. ;)

20. lv

lv Supporting Member

Funny you should mention it Pete - no they don't have master volumes and I sometimes miss my 1x12 as the 2x12 is very loud on the lead channel. Great sound, and while I can turn up as loud as I want without bothering anyone, it is a bit much sometimes. Mostly I use the two channels as a blackface clean and a tweed clean, and use my Soldano Avenger for overdriven tones.