Mark Fuqua (MotorAve) on Tone

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by desertrat07, Nov 13, 2015.

1. desertrat07

desertrat07 Supporting Member

I was poking around the MotorAve website and came across Mark Fuqua's take on tone: http://www.motorave.com/tone.html

His #1 most important factor - the player of course! Pretty common sense stuff, but it made me think that many of us seem to be chasing our tails in the hunt for the perfect guitar. I also wonder about how we are so easily influenced by marketing, and hype. Not that there aren't great guitars being built these days...we seem to be living in the golden age right now...but when is enough ever enough? Or is it more about finding a well-crafted guitar that will inspire you to discover new sounds and ideas? What are you after that has led you to boutique guitars?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    Hexum and enharmonic like this.
  2. DC1

DC1 Member

Wide necks. 1.75 at the nut. 15" radius. Ebony, SS frets, and a bunch more stuff.

My sound. My feel. No one makes this off the shelf.

If a guy can't play, guitars don't matter, so the whole "gear vs practice" discussion is beside the point. If you can play, the right guitar is hugely important.

dc

3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I play his guitars. His opinions are definitely supported by and reflected in his work. He doesn't put a lot of stock in the intangibles, but his guitars have them.

Find an instrument that makes you want to play, and then play the hell out of that instrument. :)

4. GOHOINC

GOHOINC Member

While he is right to a point, after spending as much as did on my motoraves it made me a better player. I invested so much in the guitars i figured i shold be willing to invest just as much in my playing...

desertrat07 and enharmonic like this.
  5. desertrat07

I've got one incoming on Monday (a Lemans) and can't wait to put this theory to the test! I also feel like it's much easier to bond with a guitar when it was made by a builder with obvious passion for the craft (which I think is probably essential for any small builder to succeed these days).

enharmonic likes this.
  6. enharmonic

Congrats! What color did you get?

7. desertrat07

Thanks! I picked this one up used here on TGP.

[​IMG]

Although I got it used, this one has the exact specs I've been looking for - Soft-Stop tailpiece, single P90 with tone cut controls and the '59 neck carve...plus I dig the color too! I can't wait until it arrives...and just in time for what's shaping up to be a snowday here in Santa Fe.

8. joek86

joek86 Member

I believe that was m son's Le mans! If it is, its one of the best sounding P90 guitars that I've held!

enharmonic likes this.
  9. desertrat07

Hey Joe, your name is on the MotorAve Certificate so I'm sure it was your son's guitar. Although I'm just getting to know it since it arrived on Monday, it is a phenomenal guitar that exceeds my expectations in every way. I named it Bone...both for its appearance and the way it sounds like it could cut someone to the bone with a simple power chord...awesome.

enharmonic, Scottone and joek86 like this.
  10. joek86

joek86 Member

Cool,I hope you enjoy it as much as he did!

enharmonic likes this.
  11. Scottone

Scottone Member

Be careful....I picked up a used Lemans on this board a few years back and ended up ordering three other guitars from Mark since then. Damn things are addictive

enharmonic likes this.
  12. Jpdiff

Jpdiff Gold Supporting Member

Hey Joe,
    I sold your LeMans to Adam and bought another LeMans to replace it. Both the LeMans I have played are truly "Great" Guitars!

enharmonic and joek86 like this.
  13. enharmonic

I'd like to get another LeMans. My original Korina one is floating around out there somewhere. Probably won't be able to get my Fawn Beige Metallic BelAire #36 back, but glad I was able to get #23 back.

My next one will be ready around this time next year. :)

14. joek86

joek86 Member

You gotta be cool to play a lemans.... I wasnt! Lol

enharmonic likes this.
  15. bumblefingers

bumblefingers Member

always in the market for a belaire if anyone has a desire to rehome one of theirs

16. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Well if you ever part with #23 again, I got dibs :)

enharmonic likes this.
  17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    enharmonic and shallbe like this.
  18. enharmonic

GAT likes this.
  19. enharmonic

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. I was lucky to get my first one back, and would need serious money to consider ever selling one again...and even then it would be a tough call. #23 and #89 are both bananas in different ways. I currently have Curtis Novak pickups in my blacktop. They're humbucker sized foil pickups, and they're badass. The korina BelAire is the only 6-string done in korina to date, and it has a set of Throbak PG-102's. My third one will be here next fall, and it has Duo-Trons. It will be a BelAire trifecta, because I'll have 1 with each tailpiece :dude

20. desertrat07

I am head-over-heels in love with my Lemans, but if I ever get the money together I'd love to grab another one just like that korina with a single humbucker...so sweet. Does anybody know if he's still working with korina these days?