Mark I Boogie speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JJexp, Feb 23, 2015.

1. JJexp

JJexp Member

I've got a 1976 Boogie that I changed out the very heavy EV speaker for somewhat lighter (and more to my liking) Black Shadow/Celestion 16ohm.
    The speaker outs are not labeled but I believe they are 4-8-8. Which output would I plug the speaker into?
    Do these old EV's go for much?
    Would love to hear from Boogie Mark owners on speaker choices too...

2. conrad79

conrad79 Member

The speaker outs are actually 8-4-4 (left to right, facing the back of the amp).

My Son of Boogie (not quite the same as a MK1) sounds great with an old Black Shadow MS-12. I've got a hankering to put V30's in a 2x12 & try that! I believe Altecs & JBL's were used a lot back in the day. That MC-90 probably sounds pretty good too, it's a fairly neutral speaker.

Used EVM-12L depends on condition, check ebay for a rough idea.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

^yep, good info.

I also took out the heavy EV from my Mark III and replaced it with a Steamboat Hemp 100, which I love - similar to the MC90. I've also used V30's which kick ass as well, but can be a bit fatiguing. I also have an EV Force 12, which has been reconed with a hemp cone, that sounds like an EVM12L, but much lighter, slightly less bass, and less sizzle on the top-end.

The EV's value really depends if it needs to be, or has been, reconed.

If your Celestion is 16ohms, you CAN use it with the 8ohm output from your amp. However, the tone will be a bit different than an 8ohm speaker, and it won't be as loud. It puts a bit more stress on the output transformer as well. I'd probably get an 8ohm speaker.

4. glazed67

glazed67 Supporting Member

I have a '77 Mark I and it's loaded w/ a JBL k120. Great speaker to my ears, but as you know, it weighs a ton.

5. JJexp

JJexp Member

Thanks for the info. I've be plugging into the second output....

6. jujube

jujube Member

16 ohms spkr in the 8 ohm output but it is better to use an 8 ohm spkr. 100 watts@ 8ohm output and 60watts@4ohm output.

I can tell you that I replaced the Celestion 90 on my reissue with a new Great Plains Audio 417-8H (essentially an Altec 417-8H). GPA/Altec IS the speaker for this amp. It was like removing a mud blanket from the amp. Very clear sweet non-fatiguing top end. Just a beautiful inspiring sound overall. My friend had an original Mark I with the EV and he said it was flat and dull in comparison.

7. jujube

jujube Member

From the Boogie Board...

"I am copying this from the "Vintage Mark I manual" (actually it was a letter sent to the new owners). The Mark I and the II-A are dark amplifiers so it could be of help.
    Just keep in mind that this below is written for the Mark I.

SPEAKERS: The standard 12 inch speaker is either a Vega, G-12 or, with the Hundred Watt option, an Eminence speaker designed especially for us. It features a 2 3/4" voice coil 4" paper dome, and a 125 watt rating. It is capable of crisp tones over a fairly large dynamic range and is reliable under heavy conditions. As options we also offer the Altec 417-8H Series II (list price now $179) for $85 from us when installed in your amplifier. It is the most popular and highest recommended for its fat tone, and outstanding reliability at high volume, and is the continuing choice of Santana. For jazz and country players the brighter, more sensitive response of the JBL K-120 might be preferable as used by Garcia or Carlton; it has a clearer, more present sound and has the most versatile range of volume-tone response. So, in summary: the Altec is best for continuous loud playing but loses presence at soft volumes, the JBL is best for all around playing at all volumes and clean or funky versatility; the standard Eminence works well with 100 watt amps and loud playing but again lacks low volume presence and clarity. To get super performance from a Sixty watt model, we recommend the JBL K-120. Gauss and Electro-Voice EVM speakers also sound great in a Boogie and have a generally tauter, more rigid sound than the others. They also weigh more make access to the Boogie's tubes a little hampered. In the 15" series, we prefer the JBL K-130 as having the best balanced tone at any volume, again clearer and brighter but still very fat. For the sound of raw power, especially where the amp is used for heavy rock lead, we recommend the Altec 15 as being the thickest sounding but lacking in versatility. All of the above are 8 ohm speakers. The amplifier likes any load between 3 and 8 ohms --4 ohms is ideal-- so extensions can be used very successfully with any amp. Generally though, no more than three 8 ohm speakers should be used at once for optimum performance. All 100 watt amplifiers now come with 8 and 4 ohm outputs which allow a wide choice of power levels and speaker matching when used with the 100/60 watt switch. Four-12 Marshall cabinets work well as is, especially in conjunction with the Boogie one 12 or one 15. Otherwise for maximum power, where a Boogie top and a Marshall cabinet is to be used, you can usually rewire the cabinet for lower impedance.

Hope it helps
    Daniel"

8. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I bought a Mark 1 in 1976 and used it for almost ten years. Originally it came with an Altec 417, but I switched it out for an EVM12L in the late 70's. Personally I liked the EV a bit better. It was just a bit warmer than the Altec. Those old Boogies were all about preamp distortion and I think they work best with a speaker that stays clean and with a flatter response and the EV fits that bill well.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, the speaker outs on the amp are 8-4-4.

9. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I tried a few different Eminence and Weber options in my old IIA combo (which came loaded with an EVM12L), the two I liked best were the Emi Red White & Blues and the Weber Cali with paper dome. The RWB had a fine clean/light OD sound out of the box, which is where I tended to live with that amp. The Cali needed more break-in time, but delivers clarity on the lead channel without being raspy.