Mark I reissue love

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by les_paul, May 15, 2015.

1. les_paul

les_paul Member

I've had some quality time with my Mark I reissue. I spent week one plugging straight in and looking for how many great tones I could get that way in both inputs. As it turns out it does bright/Fendery and mid/Marshally very well. I bought some 6L6s for it (I received it with 6V6s) and have had a hard time trying to bring myself to put them in.

This week I put every dirt pedal in front of it I could and was equally happy. My old FZ-1A worked surprisingly well in both channels. The Keeley Java was another particular favorite; WOW! The Keeley Fuzz Head also worked very well with all settings on both germanium and silicon. I could go on and on but these three were my favorites.

As I get older I absolutely love lower/mid gain amps. I know many TGP'ers view this as a high gain amp but compared to amps I've owned it's a mid gainer.

So now that I've raved about it I have what I view as a valid three part question: has anyone here compared the original vs the reissue directly? If so, what are the tonal differences? For bonus points, would it be worth it to pony up for an original?

2. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Ill share the love... I own 3 Mark I Reissues and have been playing them regularly since the mid 90's.

My preferred config these days is to play them thru Input 2 (the cleaner one) with the preamp at 4 and using 6V6's thru a Greenback or Creamback loaded 2x12 cab. I use either Fulltone pedals with them (FDII, OCD and FB) or Xotic pedals (BB, AC and RC) with them and get fantastic results.

Here's 2 of mine - I have another head that's not in this pic. I've never sought out an original because I'm so happy with the Reissue.

[​IMG]

Red Planet likes this.
  3. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

This amp killed my Fender amp GAS, since I got it a few months ago.

[​IMG]

4. les_paul

les_paul Member

Mine is a white combo with a tan grille. It looks sweet but not as sweet as a hardwood combo.

Stormin, I do believe you posted in my last thread where my initial settings matched yours nearly identically.

Glad to hear others don't feel the need to shell out for an original.

I put the combo up against my Orange Rockerverb 50 stack and was pleasantly surprised how it held up even in half power mode. Bigger isn't always better, eh?

5. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

I had two in the 90's and this threads give me gas for one. Anybody can explain the differences between the Mark 1 RI and te Son of Boogie, apart from the output power which is 100 vs. 60 W.
    There are oneof each in about 3 hours drive and the Son of boogie sells for half (600) of the price for the Mark 1...

6. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

From what I've read the SOB is almost the first attempt of a "reissue" Mark 1.

This old thread might help. I personally would suggest an actual Mark 1. ;)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1045998

7. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

Definitely some Mesa Mark amp love here.

Congrats to all early Mesa Boogie early Mark series owners. Great amps.

Last year I purchased a used Mark I RI in fair condition from GC for $750. Loved some of the tones I was able to get from the amp, especially at the Tweed setting. Trouble was, the amp needed some work, and had a bad hum with the volume set much above 1. I returned the amp while still under the 30 day return policy because I did not want to put another $200+ in the amp and GC was unwilling to service it (probably just needed new tubes).

I later purchased a 1982 Mark IIB which I love. Especially the clean channel. I have not yet had a chance to try the lead channel at volume with a drummer where it should shine. My Mark IIB is a Simul-Class amp currently running 4x 6L6's, with Reverb, EMV-12, and no EQ.

I wonder how close my Mark IIB amp sounds A/B'd to an original Mark I or a Mark I RI?

Kind of wish that my amp had the Tweed option.

Anyone get a chance to compare these amps?

Thanks,
    Grid.

8. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

A fried of mine have a IIB with EV in it. Sounds amazing clean and has all this crazy bells and whistles (very Dumble-like). Compared to the reissue Mark 1. The Mark 1 is just a simpler more basic 2 channel amp. I really wanted to make a comparison video between the two. Maybe one of these days I would. So stay tuned! ;)

9. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

Like Stormin, the Mark I RI is my sound. I roll with 6L6's though. I would love to get another Mark I to have 6V6's in just for the heck of it.

[​IMG]

I also have an SOB head and a 63 Vibroverb reissue. The SOB is for backup and the VV is for fun and sometimes for stereoing when we are playing loudicrous.

10. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

I thought that I would resurrect this thread to see if we could get some more comments about these great amps.

I have one that I put a Scumback H75, 100 watt speaker in and I love it. Both is regular and tweed settings it sounds great.
    I play it through input 2 and use pedals for dirt.

Anyone own both an original Mark I and also the Mark I RI and compare the clean tone ?

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I would think they would be fairly close though age of components would defiantly affect the tonal differences. IIRC the original Mark Is didn't have the half power and tweed switch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? I would like to have a Mark I, you don't see them much.

If anyone has a Mark I head they want to part with let me know?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  12. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

There are three original Mk Is and a Mk I RI here on Reverb... https://reverb.com/?query=mesa boogie mark I

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

14. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

The black reissue is mine. It's a '99 and has an OEM EVM12L and the SUS4 suspension mount for the amp.

Red Planet likes this.
  15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

That is a sweet amp. If you can pick it up you shouldn't sell it. :)

Stormin likes this.
  16. TFR

TFR Member

I showed up to a gig with a Mark I RI and was laughed at until I played the first chord at volume. It was a great amp and I sometimes miss it though I don't miss having to carry it. I ran a jumper in the effects loop and cranked the loop level to generate more gain for early Larry Carlton tones. Running an OD-808 in front put it into metal territory. My only complaint, other than the weight, was that while it could get great clean and dirty tones, I could never set it up to be able to switch between them.

17. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Mark1 RI is very cool, I was thinking I would sell mine after I got a Kingsnake, long story short, I ended keeping both Amps.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Agree you got to hit them with a pedal.

19. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

It is interesting to note the sort of attitude the general player has about Mesa. I'm talking about people that don't spend as much time on forums as we do. I gig regularly and often get compliments on my Mark I, usually followed by a "I thought mesas were just metal amps!" Mesa has been around a long time and depending upon how old the player is or what genre they are in that person will have a different impression of what Mesa is. For Some it's the Mark series and for some it's the Rectifier series. I think with most of the folks I talk to it's the rectifiers that have set the tone for what most people think of when they think of Mesa these days.