Mark Knopfler-Dire Straits tone-which amp?

tonepolice

On the following Dire Straits tunes-
Sultans
In the gallery
Once upon a time in the west
Down to the Waterline
Walking in the wild west end and
Where do you think you're going,

what amps do you reckon Knopfler is using to record these tracks. I am guessing some kinda blackface Fender. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

DGG

If I'm not mistaken, he used a SF Vibrolux Reverb and a Strat with the middle/bridge pickup selection. I get that exact sound with my AmSe Strat (middle/bridge) and my Gverb amp.

gkoelling

IMO, you really can get there with a BF circuit amp and almost any strat, as DGG does.

The hard part is making your hands take care of the rest.

scottlr

It says "Pensa" as in "Pensa-Suhr" :confused:
???

From the Sultans period.
As with his guitars, the amplifiers and effects Knopfier uses reflect his practical and straight forward approach to music. ,,I try different amps here and there," he says, ,,but at the moment, I'm using a Music Man with two 12" speakers. Also, I use a Morley volume pedal, which I like because it's so dependable, and an MXR analog delay, the little green box: I used it on the beginning of ,Down To The Water Line' [Dire Straits]. And I never use a phaser, or wah-wah pedal, or things of that ilk. My playing is fairly straightforward, really, and everything's pretty much standard no frills or special effects."

BadHat

Supporting Member
what I read on that linked site, he started using the Music Man in 1979, the first album was Fenders.

GenoBluzGtr

Gold Supporting Member
He used BROWN Fender Vibrolux during the recording of his early albums. his tone has changed over the years (as evidenced by the changes in his selection of amps), but for the most part, is relatively the same.

Latest live appearances have him playing through a 65 Amps rig.

The Captain

I was listening to these albums driving to work today. The tone is really just straight clean. I have heard any number of different rigs from Fender/Strat to Boogie Mk II/Schecter.

The magic is in the fingers here. Any good clean amp will provide a platform, the rest is up to you.
Really subtle phrasing, and lots of subtle volume swells as well.

Trending Topics