Mark Knopfler playing Clearwater Fl in October

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Funky54, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I've never seen Mark in concert. What should I expect these days? What I need is Rock. I know he can get pretty blue grass and country. What's he likely going to be doing?

I went to see Joe B. Because I loved Black Country Communion. He gave me some rock... But half my money was to see him do what I spent all of my adult life trying to get away from, Blue grass. If I wanted to be surrounded by that I wouldn't have left the corn fields of Ohio and moved to a major city only to hear blue grass. Don't wanna see Voage jackets or combines anymore. I don't think fashion statements are Pioneer seed corn belt buckles or Masey Furgeson Hats. So would he give cranked amps or Historic Nationals?

2. Claytone

Claytone Member

Mark Knopfler is a songwriter and an artist. Listen to the music he's been making. I'm not sure you'd call it Rock. But Mark is fantastic at what he does and if you like what he does, don't miss him.

3. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Expect:
    1) Seriously high ticket prices.
    2) Some terrific guitar playing & great songs.
    3) The live vids I've seen lately are a mix of Celtic, bluegrass & old-school rock and roll.
    4) Not a lot of "Rock."

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Is there anything this guy can't do? <g>

5. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Just go.

6. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

Never heard of Joe B playing bluegrass before. I know he plays acoustic guitars a little bit...I wouldn't expect a whole lot of rock from Knopfler anymore.

7. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Yep. An hour of banjo and dulcimer stuff with some dude from Ireland playing a weird instrument.... It was very talented and different. Problem in everybody is trying so hard to be "different" that I'm sick of it. Can't anybody just Rock anymore. I want fuzz pedals, stacked harmonies and a good phaser pounding out great riffs. I want feel good songs that make me want to be around friends and forget the week.

I think I'm gonna just pass.... Too bad. I need several good ole rock fix's before I hear anymore "different "cause different is all there is anymore.

crambone likes this.
  8. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

Based on the above and as someone who has seen Mark a few times over the past several years, do not even consider it.

9. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Going to see him in Oct as well so

1) SERIOUSLY
    2) I should hope so.. the new album has a couple of good tunes (even something kinda Dire Straitsish) but nothing compared to Ragpickers Dream
    3) Yes.. he calls them the Folkies.. Someone here called them the band from the movie Titanic
    4) Buddy of mine saw him a few times.. when he plays Sultans he looks bored out of his mind and another time he played about half of Money for Nothing then just stopped..

10. loudboy

loudboy Member

As great as he and Dire Straits were, they really come to mind when I thought of a "rock band."

More of a cinematic, literary, moody thing, and Knopfler has gone even farther in that direction in his solo career.

Lots of old school classic rock acts are out in the summer - you can often see 2-3 on one bill. Or at fairs and city-sponsored events for free.

11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Blue Oyster Cult is playing Pompano Beach in mid August.
    The Super Fuzz plays all over South Florida this summer.
    Alice in Chains is playing Seminole in August.
    Billy Idol is playing Seminole in September.
    Blues Traveler is playing Revolution in September.
    Zappa Plays Zappa is playing the Culture Room in September.

Etc.

Take a look around and you'll find plenty of rock here. I live on Miami Beach and travel as far as Gainesville to catch the right shows. My friends travel further, but they are less committed to their work than am I.

12. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Please don't misunderstand. I do like quality music. I do enjoy a little Celtic or bluegrass type stuff here and there. It's just very hard to find ROCK. I've gone to maybe 15 shows in the last 2 years and none of them were really what I'm craving. I just want tough in your face rock. Not black fingernail hateful scream stuff or anemic soft stuff... Just ROCK. I tried VH for Tattoo but the sound was so muddy and awful I can't tell you what songs they were playing. Killers and Muse were good.. I missed ZZTop. Not much great comes to Florida. Local is all anemic duets or Cookie Monster vocals for rock. Other bands that bill themselves as ROCK just play "ain't no sunshine" and every song that sounds like "ain't no sunshine" between every song that sounds like "smoke stack lighting" depressing.

Florida needs Blues Pills, Rival Sons, Vintage Trouble, Wolfmother, ACDC, Foo, Weezer....

JJ Grey was good, the Boss was pretty good...

13. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Is he at Ruth Eckard Hall? That is my favorite place over here to see a concert.

14. Funky54

Funky54 Member

T
    Thanks for offering your take. I did decide to pass. I'm tired of buying tickets to settle for something "close" to what I want.

Long live Phase, Fuzz and Cranked Marshalls!

15. johan

johan Member

Sounds like you need to check out Rival Sons. Any gigs in your area ?