• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mark Knopfler Strat tone - which pickups?

cber1517

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys and gals,

First, here is what I have currently. Set neck Showmaster strat, rosewood fingerboard, wired with Seymour Duncan Cool Rails in the neck/middle and Hot Rails in the bridge. These are set up as coil-tapped also. This is a very diverse set up which is great but in single coil mode these don't have the vintage cluck and chime ala Mark Knopfler I would like in the 2nd and 4th positions.

For reference, I use a compressor, clean boost, and low gain OD when I want a little dirt - see my set up below.

I want vintage Strat tones like Mark Knopfler but don't want to spend a fortune on pickups. I hear great things about Bill Lawrence L280's as far as quality and price but are there other ones I should explore?

Thanks!

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
The set neck is killing your 'knopfler' tones.

Most good sets should get you there...I'd probably use Duncan SSL1's or Fender Custom Shop 54's on a budget. Good strat tones in both those sets. Nice clean and plucky.

cber1517

Silver Supporting Member
The set neck is killing your 'knopfler' tones.

Most good sets should get you there...I'd probably use Duncan SSL1's or Fender Custom Shop 54's on a budget. Good strat tones in both those sets. Nice clean and plucky.
Thanks, Mike. I wondered about the set neck. This guitar does not sound like a standard Strat but I thought changing pickups would help. I know it will get me closer but I do enjoy the sustain of a set neck.

Please keep 'em coming guys!

JPF

I'm probably not supposed to, but my MIM Strat with active EMG SAs absolutely nails it. Squish the signal with my Juicer and play through either a Velocette or a Multitone and I'm a happy camper.

I'm convinced that it doesn't take oodles of money and a strictly vintage or purist selection of gear to get close to the "Dire Straits" and "Communiqué" benchmark tones.

The technique, on the other hand...

Han Solo

Gold Supporting Member
As Mike suggested both the Duncan's and the CS'54 are good affordable options. I slightly prefer the CS'54.

Tele71

Platinum Supporting Member
I've been told that Mark was using Duncan vintage strat pickups in the Schecters he uses or used to use on the road during the eighties. The Alchemy(s) videos. I had a set installed in one of my strats and bingo it's all there. Gotta use the fingers though.

Trending Topics