Mark Lanegan appreciation

mrpinter

Supporting Member
There was a thread here recently about great musical talent that has largely gone unrecognized. I want to thank whoever it was who posted in that thread about Mark Lanegan. He's a great discovery for me - his stuff can be beautiful and dark, uplifting and yet almost creepy at the same time. Here are a couple of his songs:

StringEmil

Awesome singer, he also featured on two tracks on Songs For The Deaf:

(Sorry, couldn't find a studio version in good quality)

Cornbread

I'm a fan. First started listening to Mark because Kurt Cobain said that Mark's voice was his favorite.

I've seen him with QOTSA 3 times...even got to meet him at a QOTSA meet'n greet. There are times when it seems like there is a hurricane of chaos on stage and he stands still holding the mic stand roaring.

Staticbuster

Mark Lanegan is one of my favs. Nobody sounds like him. "Scraps at Midnight" is one of my favorite late-night albums.

moosewayne

Supporting Member
'The Winding Sheet' is one the most textural, moody albums ever made.
Highly underrated talent!

KindaFuzzy

I love any of the qotsa songs he sings on. Listened to a lot of screaming trees back in the day too.

Noise Under The Floor

Gold Supporting Member
Saw him with Screaming Trees in the early 90's. He was completely blitzed by the time they went on, had to be walked to the stage and helped up there, but he still sounded great. When he first got up there he was was smoking a cigarette. First song starts, he takes the the cigarette, still lit, sticks it in his shirt pocket and starts singing. About 30 seconds later his shirt pocket starts to smolder! While he's still singing he starts smacking his shirt with his hand to snuff it out. Someone at the club must've seen what was going on and gotten worried because they aimed a spotlight right on him. He managed to put out the firey pocket, but they kept the light on him until after the song was over. After the song he looks at the lighting guy and said something along the lines of "If you shine that f##king light on me again like that I"ll have to kick your ass" :rotflmao

ggwwbb

Lanegan has one of my favorite voices in rock. I've been a Screaming Trees fan since the late 80s. "Uncle Anesthesia" still gets very regular rotation on my mp3 player.

Lost_Cause

He is only unrecognized in the USA. He is huge in Europe , South America, Australia and even the Middle East. He could play where ever he wants whenever he want. He is recording an album of covers with the same people who recorded I'll take care of you back in 1999. He recently wrote lyrics for and recorded 3-4 sounds that Mad Season had recorded just after above but had not put vocals to. One can be heard on rolling Stone right now called Locomotive. I saw him last year on his Solo tour for Blues Funeral and each of the last few years with Isobell Campbell, Soulsavers and Twilight Singers.

He quit smoking about 5 years ago and his voice is aging like a fine wine. It sounds so good now. He can keep right on going well into his 50s or 60s at this pace.

He is my favorite singer, songwriter, performer, musician in all the world. I am a huge huge fan. I almost forgot he has another album coming out in May that he recorded with a guy named Duke Garwood. He is just prolific in his output the last 5-6 years. He is amazing.

Named

Count me amongst his fans. Blues Funeral is in a fight for best album of last year that I don't know will ever be decided one way or the other.

Rumors of War

Supporting Member
I would say he has the best voice in rock at this time. I'll definitely have to check more of his stuff out.

AXXA

Supporting Member
I absolutely love lanegan. I have almost every album he's been on, which is quite a few! He has the most classic voice.

Neer

Supporting Member
One Way Street is one of my favorite performances of his--very Jim Morrison-esque. I also dig Kimiko's Dream House--has a real junkie vibe.

G Man

Another fan, love his voice and music. The Gutter Twins album is really good as well.