Mark V 25 Crunch Level Just Too High

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DRS, Jan 24, 2015.

1. DRS

DRS Member

OK

I really like this amp but . . . the only flaw is that the volume jump from Fat or Clean on channel 1 to Crunch is huge. The Crunch sounds nice, though.

I have spent a bit of time with this. I think this may be a design issue.

My thoughts.

As an experiment to test the Cab Clone, I ran an XLR from my MKV25 to a Fishman Loudbox Artist. It has a 2 way wide range speaker system and a very linear preamp/power amp like a PA system. The preamp gain on the Fishman has a clipping indicator like a lot of PA systems. You turn the gain up till it just lights up on the loudest passages and then use the master volume for overall.

With the MKV25 channel 1 gain set to about 11oclock and the MV set to around 10oclock, you can run the Fishman preamp gain up around 11oclock with power chords on "Clean" and "Fat" and it just clips. On Mkv25 channel 2 with the gain at noon and MV around 9oclock, in any mode, you run the Fishman preamp gain the same - 11 oclock. But on the channel 1 "Crunch" setting with the crunch gain on 11 oclock and MV at 10 oclock, the Mkv25 clips the Fishman preamp at every setting on power chords. You have to back the MkV25 MV down till it's almost off to get it to not clip the Fishman preamp channel. Why would the level of signal from the Crunch channel be so much more on a lower gain setting and comparable MV levels than the high gain channel?

The crunch channel sounds great but it's just difficult to the volume right. I resorted to dropping the 5 band down in a straight line to cut down some DBs. Then you can use the foot switch to toggle the EQ in and out if you use the crunch channel.

Oh, the Cab Clone really works well.

Any thoughts?

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I simply adjust the master volume accordingly.
    Since change from clean to fat to crunch isn't foot switchable, I don't have a problem with it.