Mark V 25 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by reade, May 30, 2015.

1. reade

reade Member

I'm really thinking of trying one of these amps. I played a MK III and MK IV for years and then went to single channel amps and pedals. My questions are,

Since I know what the III and IV are like can I expect similar results with the V 25?

Can the lead channel do low gain?

2. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I own a Mark V and am seriously thinking of grabbing the V:25 as well... I owned a Mark IIC+ for years (it was my first good amp) but I personally think the Mark V is a much better amplifier; more flexible in a live environment, easier to dial in, and sounds as good or better.... It's easier to dial in three great tones than on a Mark IV too. The V:25 is only a two channel amp, and the second channel is basically the third channel preamp from the Mark V. I was playing around with some lower gain settings on one in the store for a few minutes and you can eek out some cool lower gain tones in the Mark IIC+ and Mark IV modes using you guitar volume with the gain and treble controls, and using the graphic EQ to tweak the output. It's not that kind of open, airy low gain sweet spot like the TA-15 can manage, though, imho...

3. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

The lead channel can indeed achieve good low gain sounds. However, you might find using the "Crunch" mode of channel one to accomplish this much better, and then use your guitar's volume to clean it up.

Overall, this is a really versatile amp. Many different ways to dial in what you're after.

4. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I've had mine for 3 weeks now. I keep finding new tones every time I use it. And it is possible to get lower gain tones on channel 2. As well as very nice high gain tones. Very versatile.

5. reade

reade Member

Another thing that really appeals is the weight. I could leave a cab at the church and carry the head in and out.

Guess I'm heading to the store with cash in hand.

6. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

This video will answer any quiestions about tone regarding this little beast.

7. reade

reade Member

Well, the store also had a 5:25 plus Express so I gave it a try first, nice amp. Then I played the V 25 and it sounded bigger. I brought home the V 25. Now to get it figured out but that won't take long.

8. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

9. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

Nice choice! I love mine. I run it through a Mesa traditional 412 and it sounds huge.

10. reade

reade Member

I have an Avatar 2-12 with alnicos in it. I also have a pair of Scumback ceramics I'm planning on switching into it. I think they will work better.

11. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Congrats! I think you're gonna like it!

12. reade

reade Member

Oh yeah! Getting it dialed in, really responds well to riding the volume knob. I put an old Echo Park in the loop and it sounds great.

13. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Just a suggestion...

One of my only criticisms of this amp was disappointment with the headphone jack. I was hoping that I'd finally have an amp that I could use with headphones and get a decent tone. Well, at least for me, I couldn't get a decent sound out of the headphone jack. Even with a decent pair of cans (tried both Audio Technica ATH-M40fs and Audio Technica ATH-M50x) but couldn't get above a whisper without some nasty unwanted distortion. The headphone volume for the amp is tied directly to the Master Volume. I was about to give up on using it altogether, but gambled on an idea.

I just today, received a Whirlwind HATT headphone amp. I ran a TRS cable from the Mark V:25 headphone jack to one of two TRS inputs on the Whirlwind HATT, and then a pair of headphones from the Whirlwind. I was able to set the Master Volume low on the Mark V:25 and get the volume I needed from the Whirlwind. I know there are probably some cheaper alternatives for headphone amps, but if you plan to use headphones, you may want to pick one up.

reade likes this.
  14. reade

reade Member

We have used in ears before and might again but I have a feed I can get from the board, a mix actually. But thanks for the idea, might come in handy.

15. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Ill have to try it with the headphones. So far I have the cabclone going into my Line6 UX2 and then either studio monitors or headphones from there. Works like a charm. I'll report back on the sennheiser headphones direct.

16. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Good to know. That issue was a deal breaker for me, based on my experience with the stand alone Cab Clone unit, headphone output on it suffers from the same as what you're describing on the MK V 25.

17. mitchanator

mitchanator Member

Yeah the headphone out didn't work out so well for me either. But throug the clone cab into my little board it sound awesome. Both with my rokit 6 and my sony 7506

Holzar88 likes this.
  18. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Just FYI - the Clean and Crunch modes in the M5-25 are very similar circuits to the same modes in the Express+ series. In fact, according to the the tech I spoke to at Mesa, the Crunch mode is the same preamp circuit used in all amps with that mode since 2009. Also, the Burn channel in the Express is very similar to the Mark IV lead channel preamp circuit.

Just a little inside info to help people make a decision between these amps. :)

19. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

I had the Express 5:50 plus, the MarkIV and the Mark V and unless my new 5:50 was defective the burn channel was not even close to the lead of the Mark IV, its nonsence to call it similar IMO, also on the Mark V cleans they do sound kind of in the ball park to a Express, but they are superior sounding.

The Express 5:50 pklus sounds really good dont get me wrong, but itds not a Mark amp for sure.

20. reade

reade Member

Side by side the mark was far bolder. That's why I chose it. Not taking anything away from the Express +.