Mark V - 40th Anniv - Limited

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by X - Road 28, Dec 18, 2009.

1. X - Road 28

X - Road 28 Member

I need another amp like I need a hole in my head, that said I promised myself a Mark V as a gift for a year of hard work.

Soooooo, why am I drooling over the 40th, for the love of the Amp God out there. You would think a regular V would do it, but the 40th looks like it could be an old friend, a partner you have a drink with while you play while wearing your pj's and cartoon slippers.

Am I nuts, once again - someone talk me off the ledge or at best give me a good reason why it would make sense.'

:nuts

2. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

If I would want and I could afford it I don't see a problem. With me it's a bigger problem how to convince my wife that I have this one for a few years and that she didn't see it by now.

3. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Buy one and drag it around to all the local dumps and dives. :)

4. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

buy it now and it will become your best friend!!!!!!!!:aok

5. theroan

theroan Member

Or get a custom one and kind of meet in the middle?[​IMG]

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Are the cosmetics the only think that makes it different then the stock Mark V?

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

Yes. They're gorgeous and expensive but they're the same chassis, same circuit.

I love the looks of the figured wood enclosures with the cane weave grill cloth but I'd just end up beating the crap out of the finish. I'm careful with my equipment but amps that get hauled around will eventually show wear. If I had one of these limited edition figured wood combos I'd feel obligated to take exceptional care of it and would be hesitant to take it most places. I don't want to think about or worry about my equipment that much - I just want it to be there and work right when I need it.

I have two Ernie Ball Bongo 4HH basses - both identical aside from the finish. One is in a color that EB used for less than 25 of these instruments before discontinuing the color. It also has a limited edition serial number / neck plate - one of two like it. I am in the process of trading this bass for a regular production 5 string version. The bass will go up in value, no doubt about it. It's already up quite a bit from when I bought it new inn 2004. Because of this I'm consciuosly more careful with it and less apt to take it out. I'd rather have a regular production (i.e. replaceable) piece and let someone else worry about the collectors value on the one I have now.

All that said it's definitely a personal preference thing. For those that enjoy them the figured wood Mesa cabs are beautiful and almost certainly worth the extra coin.

8. theroan

theroan Member

I think it was also a gesture to say, there will be no Mark Vb.

9. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Judging by history there may not be an official release or "series 2", but I'll bet my cards on a silent update anyday of the week personally.

It's easy to be prejudiced when you're invested in a product and the ego is tightly integrated into internet forum responses. :)

10. X - Road 28

X - Road 28 Member

If I do pull the trigger, I doubt it would leave the house. I may be better off with an upgraded finish instead of the limited.

But boy are they purty.

11. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

12. curley maple

curley maple Member

have you found one yet? there are 20 sapele and 20 flamed walnut being kept for the us.

if you can find a sapele they will be worth more eventually

I actually have one ordered, I was supposed to get it about a month ago but nothing yet. im up in canada so I could not get a sapele so I am getting a flamed walnut combo......eventually

you have to decide if its worth it to you. if you love the sapele or the walnut these are the only ones they are going to make using those woods.they are not an option in the book

try to find one first then worry about buying it

13. Deaj

Deaj Member

Yeah, that would be the limiting factor for me. They sure look great though!!

14. Deaj

Deaj Member

The Blonde / Wheat combo looks fantastic too!! My first blonde was a '61 Bassman head w/ the oxblood grill cloth - another good looking blonde.

My Fuchs ODS combo is a blonde with fender tweed style grill cloth. I'm generally not concerned with the looks of my gear but it sure doesn't bother me that my Fuchs ODS looks so damn good! :)

Those are great cabs too! I used to have one with EVM-12L's in the bottom and Mesa Celestions in the top. Mine was in black and nothing special to look at but man it moved some air!

15. X - Road 28

X - Road 28 Member

16. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

Unfortunately that is not my amp. It belongs to barryathome on the Boogie Board. They are the only pictures of the 40th Anniv. amps I've seen outside of the Boogie Factory.

I have a custom (non-hardwood) Mark V (try to ignore that christmas present to myself leaning up against it ;)):

[​IMG]