• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Marking Pedals

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
Nothing like hitting a dark stage with 15 minutes to set up, and having the knobs on your pedals all out of whack. Not the kind of stress I need before a show.

What do you guys do to mark your pedals? Grease pencil? Seems like we all swap them out, buy/sell, etc. I need something I can see in the dark that can be completely removed when I go to sell the pedal.

shinksma

Stage Trix Setting Saver pen, ink glows in the dark (not sure how long):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CBEKUY

I just got one, and the ink/whatever is easily removed either by just rubbing it off (like a whiteboard marker) or with a damp cloth/paper towel. Since I just got it I have no personal experience with whether the markings become "too permanent", but reviews of it online don't seem to indicate that is a problem.

Seems like a useful tool, but as I said, I just got one, I have no idea if it works long-term all that well.

EDIT: Jinx!

JonSick

Glow in the dark tape.

Or, if you're feeling adventurous, a few battery operated LED lights from Ikea.

td2243

That company makes some nifty items. I've been making my own pedal risers, but I really like theirs with the valley to stick cables through.

I just remember how they're set and quickly adjust as needed.

I marked my Trem when I was switching speeds on the fly to mimic a rotary, but I usually know where the knobs should be.

Fatboy666

Silver Supporting Member
this /\

I've also used neon yellow duct tape in the past - easy to read in dim lighting

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
The best solution I've seen, is in the Ler Lalonde Rig Rundown. He sets the knobs to where he wants them, then puts tape on top of the knobs, and draws an arrow straight up at noon. This way, when you go to check the pedalboard before the show, you look and you know everything should be pointing straight up, and you are good to go.

MilwMark

The best solution I've seen, is in the Ler Lalonde Rig Rundown. He sets the knobs to where he wants them, then puts tape on top of the knobs, and draws an arrow straight up at noon. This way, when you go to check the pedalboard before the show, you look and you know everything should be pointing straight up, and you are good to go.
He never changes settings during a show? Or between shows to account for room differences?

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
He never changes settings during a show? Or between shows to account for room differences?
He did have a few different delays on his board, so I guess gets around it that way. Here's the rig rundown, see for yourself.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
You will see in my pic above, there is no setting marked for the level of the comp. that was how I adjusted for the room at that time. I had all knobs on the amp marked (thin strips of console tape)

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
I use slivers of blue painters tape.
This, also, I forget who I got it from, but one technique is to mark the tape with an arrow toward noon when the knob is where you want it to be, so all you have to do is glance down and as long as all the arrows are facing noon you know its all set right.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
This, also, I forget who I got it from, but one technique is to mark the tape with an arrow toward noon when the knob is where you want it to be, so all you have to do is glance down and as long as all the arrows are facing noon you know its all set right.
The Ler trick is a good one, and this variation on that theme with the sliver of bright tape placed at the 12:00 position of the desired setting is a great idea!

Nota

Use less pedals. If you can't remember where the knobs are supposed to be, you probably have too many knobs :)

gennation

Console tape. Fine point marker.
I have a sheet of paper with that. I also take pictures on my phone so I can whip them up in a pinch. I also take pictures of the chain to make sure the path fits the particular setup. I do rock, jazz combo, big band, Elvis, and many other style gigs, so the setting and chain fit the gig.

Trending Topics