Marko's Basement Tonefest 2!!! (mucho GAS inducing pictures inside!!!)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, Apr 6, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I had my good buddy, who's also a member on here come over today and bring some of his new and some of his "old" toys so that we could have some fun! We ended up talking gear and playing some awsome gear for about 6 hours. We had a great time. He brought over his Bruno Cowtipper 45, his CS tele (a SWEEEEET tele), his Axe Fx Ultra (AMAZING UNIT!!!!), Chicago Iron pedalflanger, old coloursound fuzz wah, BJF EGDM, BJF SBEQ and a /13 Dynaranger. Some awsome gear. The dyna ranger surprised me the most w/ my AC-15. It sounded like we were in tone heaven :) I'm ordering one after I post this thread... Anyways, here are some pictures just so you guys see what a blast we had. We'll do it again in a few weeks, once I get my Komet, a few more pedals, and once he gets some new "toys"... I'm also including some pictures from our last "tone fest", which was equally awsome- especially in the pedal department. He might chime in. Enjoy, guys.

Cheers,

Marko M.

Buddy playin' his smokin tele.
    [​IMG]
    A Cowtipper on the ground with some pedals on it- only at markom89's ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Panacea

Panacea Member

3. Richards

Richards Member

Thanks for having me out for the "2nd Basement Tonefest" , as we discussed, the next one will be even better.
    It was a great time, Marko's Underground 30 sounded awesome, UG 30 definately an amp you can;t forget IMHO (great playing too Marko!!!!) he is fortunate because he can crank his amps to '11'
    and no one complains because no one can hear, (great soundproofing!) That Bruno 4X12 cab is perfection, if anyone is considering
    purchasing a 4X12 cab, atleast consider a Bruno. I haven;t had the chance, as of yet, to crank my Cowtipper 35, so I decided to bring it over so we could compare the UG30 , and so I could hear this "cowtipper" cranked!! I loved the natural overdrive from my Cow35, beefy blackface tones, bottom end remained defined, tight when it was cranked. Smooth , smooth high end , and overall the amp sounds dark (smokey) (believe me I am not complaining!!) I have heard many people do not like the overdriven tones, I loved what I heard, but reviews I have read about not liking the overdrive come from owners of the 45 Watt version, again, mine is 35 Watts and , as far as volume goes, its the perfect range for what I need.
    Had all our BJF's linked up and both our amps ate them up with no problems, fuzzes and distortions sounded incredible through both amps. We used my AXE FX ULTRA through my tipper and all the settings sounded so good, thanks Marko, for letting me blow up, I mean, use your 4X12 Bruno cabinet with the ULTRA (60's basket weave material from Marshall , its magic Marko, definately part of the vibe!!!, had to be there for that conversation).

Marko's 2X12 JMI amp sounded amazing, Music Ground (Hi-Watt?) painstakenly (sp?? its late and I am tired) reproduced the AC-15 2X12 to a "T"
    His amp sounds so authentic, I mean, from inside , its identically engineered, and on the outside, the fawn tolex looks more authentic then what Vox uses.
    I was really taken by surprise with the overall attention to detail, incredible tones, killer hypnotic vib/trem. What a killer sounding amp IMHO, and with the D13 Dyna-Ranger, "four-get about et".
    Marko has so many pedals, BJF, ToneCzar, too many to list. It's great getting together and checking out other peoples gear, I know now which other BJF, e.t.c. pedals
    I wish to add to my collection (currently have:HB,SBEQ,EGDM). Watch out for those J.M.I amps in your dreams people. Thanks alot Marko for your hospitality , it was
    great to do this again, and I am sure there will be a 3rd time, everything happens in 3's

BTW, how's it going with the Flanger, all good?

4. benjammin

benjammin Member

Is the Pedalflanger worth it? It looks great and sounds great, but I can't tell if it'd just be a collector's item.

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Is it worth it? YES!!! Richards left it over at my house for a week or two for me to try out, and I just got it up and running and man what an awsome flanger. I think I might do a clip or two of it. I love how you can switch between automatic and manual modes. It can go from a very subtle chorusish sound to a full on steel pan type of flange... awsome pedal. Can't wait for the next tonefest ;)

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

That's some nice gear you have there Marko. Enjoy it. The BJF pedals are killer. I'm waiting for the word on a VCF. As soon as it becomes available I will enter the world of BJF/Mad Professor. I have actually scrapped my pedalboard and I am currently rebuilding it. So far I only have a Hyper Rust Box and a Bubble Box, both from Dino's Guitars in Italy. The reason for the change is that I went back to a rack rig and I wanted to start over from scratch. I am going to be looking into some of those BJF pedals. Do they make a good delay (analog)

Bill

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey Bill, Thanks, but it's not all my gear, as I mentioned... You will enjoy the BJF's, though I don't advise getting any! They're TOO damn addictive. The VCF is a *great* choice, though I'm not sure if they're currently available for purchase, as I'm not sure what the word is with the BJF customshop these days... Bjorn (BJF owner/builder) doesn't make an analog delay, at the moment, but he does offer a nice (from what I've heard) digital delay, which sounds very close to a tape echo, and sounds fairly analog overall...

8. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Looks like you guys had some great gear to check out.

9. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Hey Marko,
    must have been fun, I hope your parents soundproofed the basement :).

Question: what are the patch cables you use between the effects (with the gold plughs)?

Cheers,
    Christian

10. mild

mild Member

Whoooooooooa, ok Marko. Those are some impressive photos. What was the favourite amp on the day? I spy a Swart AST, a couple Brunos, your JMI, and an as-of-yet unidentified /13.

Is that a DAM Mk2 I spy? How was it?

Looks like a great day bro. :)

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks, guys!

Christian, no soundproofing ;) They actually really are cool with it an don't mind. We had all the amps cranked most of the time, too :D
    The cables are Cardas golden chords from Lavaman. Great cables.

Jono, No favourites in this house! They were all great and each one's quite different. I think it's safe to say we were both VERY impressed w/ the JMI's tones, but aside from that I REALLY dug the cowtipper- especially in the clean deparment. He has some nice NOS tubes in there, and they also add to it. Also great reverb on that amp. I also really dug the crunch on it. Overall, it's a fairly "thicker" sounding amp next to the UG30. It's a blackface, and the UG is a Vox-ish amp. As for the UG, we both also really enjoyed it- especially when we cranked it all the way. I forgot how great it sounded cranked!

The AST is gone now- that's a picture from our first tonefest, mate! It was a great little amp, but I used it as trade bait for the JMI... And that /13 is a RSA31, I believe... also Richards. Great VOX style amp. Yes, we're both very into the whole vox thing, LOL.

Lastly, yuppers, that's a D*A*M MK II, and it's my favourite "old school" fuzz that I own. Perfect match w/ my AC-15 and w/ the other amps. Great spitty and thick sounding fuzz.

Cheers & all the best.

Stay tuned for the next tonefest,

Marko M.

12. Fatso Forgottso

Fatso Forgottso Member

you guys better be ****ing awesome guitar players...

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

haha, yeah... I'm alright. Richards is GREAT.
    I wanted to add... The Axe Fx is the single best thing to get the "The Edge" sound... if you're trying to get that sound, and you're chosing to go the pedal and rackmount route, I'm sorry, but you won't get there. I know- I've tried for a while to get his sound w/ the best delays, overdrives, etc, and none of it comes as close as the Axe. The axe not only comes close, but actually nails it.
    Also wanted to say that I'm practically deaf after today, lol. Dynaranger + cranked AC-15= OMG tones.

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I haven't, no, but I've used one quite a bit, and my friend has an all original one from the 70's. Call me crazy, but I dig the bass microsynth more on guitar than the "guitar" microsynth. Very cool boxes, those EHX. That said, more than half my gear is dirt! Keep in mind, that's not all my gear, but almost half is my friend, Richards (he posted on page one...).

16. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

clips would be interesting

17. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Is the Phase II synth original? Aren't those unbelievably rare?

18. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

a purple fulltone tube tape echo,
    I want it....:hiP

19. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Marko, that BJFE line up picture should be against forum rules. ;) . I really want to order a few more from Bjorn...

On another note you should get a board together man.. we know what you have on the table but what do you need on a board?

20. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

*frantically digging for Gas-X in the meds cabinet...*