Marsall JTM45: Open or Closed Back Cab. Your Preference and Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SonexReducer, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Bftguitar

Bftguitar Member

bass on 2 on my jtm45..the bass comes up as volume comes up naturally in the circuit..maybe the fullest sounding amp of my collection...knobs dont even matter on a 45..turn it up & ride them guitar knobs..

HeavyCream and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  2. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Open, but I have found I prefer the sound of an open cabinet with everything.

micktmason@msn. likes this.
  3. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Supporting Member

Make sure you use an attenuator! I have done this, but a JTM is somewhat more power than is good for the Blues. I still sometimes use my JTM through one blue (with a Power Station), to be honest, I prefer it through regular Greenbacks (I have an open 2x12 with old greenies).

To OP, it depends on what sound you are looking for. A 4x12 will give you a tighter classic rock sound, and an open 2x12 will give you more of that Clapton Bluesbreaker sound. More air I would say. That's what I went for with my '66 JTM, sounds great.

BTW someone said something about the JTM lacking bass oomph, the JTM is a bass circuit, with almost too much bass. I keep my bass at 1 or 2. With a tube rectifier, it is not as tight a bass as say a SS rectified JTM50 or 50 watt. Maybe that's what he meant. Some think a JTM bass is a bit flabby. A good pedal helps tighten it up. Klon circuits are great for that, my Centaur is fantastic with this amp. But then everything sounds great with this amp!

4. effectsman

effectsman Member

Open back. It helps to disperse some of the bass heaviness of the circuit. Also greenbacks or other M magnet speakers rather than H magnets.

RAG7890 likes this.
  5. darkphader

darkphader Member

Open back 1x12 with a Jensen Jet Tornado Stealth 65 (using a Reinhardt Sentinel, not a real JTM-45). Love the Celestion Blue in it as well, but didn't want to chance toasting it. Also volume never gets above clean, using a RevivalDRIVE for "the sound".

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

Closed. Like the punchiness.

7. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

I run my JTM45 style amp through a vertical oval open back 2x12 with ASW KTS70s. It really tightens up the low end and stays open and clear. Very punchy, snappy and crisp with a Strat. I don’t imagine the purists wouldn’t like like it tho, the mids are slightly scooped with this configuration.

8. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

[​IMG]

9. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Silver Supporting Member

Ported 2x12 cabinets are some of my favorites. Thats going to be an interesting cabinet pine, ported with celestion 10's. What is the baffle made of as well as what grill cloth did you pick?

I'm currently using a Komet HD 2x12 ported cabinet with celestion ruby's. Ported cabs sounds great, they are well balanced and fill the room.

Give us some feedback once you get it up and running.