Marshal '79 2204 Master Model MkII - good price???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by texstrat, Jan 18, 2015.

1. texstrat

texstrat Member

I've got a chance to pick up a '79 2204. It has no mods, and looks to be all original. Is $1400 a fair price?

Here are a few pics. Circuit board looks all original to me, I think... Is the rusted handle a big deal? I doubt it. Feel free to give me your insights if need be. Any help is greatly appreciated, as this will be my first Marshall. I've been a vintage Fender guy forever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

No its a tad expensive.

I got my 77 2204 for $950

3. texstrat

texstrat Member

Dang, I really want the amp and can't get him below $1400. I do not want to over pay..,

4. Belmont

Belmont Member

that's worth $1000.00 tops if it's mint.
    move on, there's a lot of Marshalls out there and they're not going up in price.

5. buddy7168

buddy7168 Silver Supporting Member

I think $1100-1200 is fair for one with fresh caps/tubes. $1400 is a bit much but if you're into it then maybe it's worth it.

6. sanrico

sanrico Member

It's a bit high. I sold that identical amp head about two years ago, but in excellent condition (except for the logo). Same year as the one you are looking at. I sold it for $1,000.

I loved the amp very much, and have searched for a replacement from time to time. Yes, people ask a stupid amount for them on eBay, but they usually do not sell them at that price. They are a bit tough to find, but $1,400 is asking a lot. I've been monitoring prices closely the past few years.

By the way, it's identical to first version of the JCM 800 2204, which you can usually get for less than that.

And like Buddy said, fresh caps and tubes are very helpful for the price to go over $1,000.

[​IMG]

7. texstrat

texstrat Member

Thanks everybody. It's looking like I should pass on this one. Or try and get him down a few hundred dollars. Any more feedback?

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Have you played through it? If you have and love it, then $1,200 might be worth it if it's something you really dig. If you haven't played through it, then I would shop for a lower priced one in case you need to have it serviced.

9. sanrico

sanrico Member

The rusted handle is not a big deal. It looks like it has the original caps. You'd want those replaced. Who knows about the tubes? They might be in great shape, but people usually don't buy Marshall heads to baby them, so assume it has spent a lot of time breaking eardrums and windows. So, new tubes needed? Perhaps.

It has the green board inside, which is preferable to the blue board. It doesn't make the price jump up or anything, but I have been told the blue board is a PITA to work on.

I've no doubt it sounds great. That model has a fantastic classic rock tone.

10. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I got my 1976 50-watt JMP 1987 in excellent condition about 6 years ago for $900. The MV later 70's amps go for a little more than the mid-70's 4-hole versions like mine (surprising because the 4-hole version was still basically a plexi circuit), but $1400 is a bit much. For $1400 it would need to be in pretty much mint condition. I'd keep looking because you should be able to find one for $1200 or less.

11. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I says just get it. ...king of rock amps imo