Marshall 18 watt also for the Blues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dylan61, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Are Marshall 18 watt amps :cool: also for the Blues?

2. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

In some ways better for blues than heavy rock. Great amps. I really like the reissue 1974x.

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have an S2 18 watt lite and its killer for the blues!

so, YES! these amps are great for a few things me thinks....

4. musictoyz.com

musictoyz.com Member

Great for heavy blues...ala Gary Moore etc....strat and delay pedal...kicks butt...

5. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I have an 18 watt clone. Kicks serious butt for 70s rock AND blues. This amp loves neck pickupsi use a guvnor to get jcm800 tones out of it and use an Auralux Clear Gain( an amzing pedal) for a kick in the preamp pants. Use enough and it will put you into jcm territry too..I use it mainly with a lester with antiquities but have been toying with my strat loaded with bardens

6. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I have a Ceriatone 18 watt Marshall clone which is great for the blues. With the volume at noon, there is subtle creamy smooth overdrive with a tight bottom end and the perfect volume for a blues band. Maybe my favorite sound out of this amp. And people say its a one trick pony! Not at all.

Martin

7. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I found that by using a Red Coat Tonker speaker in my 18 watt RT combo,it makes the amp louder then any deluxe type amp,and the tone is just perfect for bluesy things,and rolling the guitar volume down it cleans up very well to do some nice Jazzy.It can get the SRV blues,or classic rock blues also.
    :BEER

8. hasserl

hasserl Member

Lots of amps are good for playing the Blues; you can play the Blues on just about anything. Marshall 18 watts are great sounding amps, and will sound cool for playing the Blues too. But if you're going to play out at Blues jams, do your self a favor and get a Fender.

It's like riding a Japanese cruiser to Daytone Bike Week, or Sturgis. Yeah, it'll do just fine, but it aint a Harley. If you want to fit in and experience the real thing you'll ride a Harley.

BF, SF Tweed, doesn't matter too much, any of them will do, though you'll want to take a TS9 with a BF or SF. With a tweed you won't need one, just guitar and cord (a slide is optional :)). Deluxe Reverbs may be most common, but a tweed Deluxe is cooler IMO. A hot rodded Princeton Reverb w/ 12" driver is too. For louder gigs a Super Reverb is hard to beat, though a tweed Bassman or low power Twin is right there with it. Show up to a Blues jam with one of these and you'll fit right in and you'll do well. Show up with a Marshall and you'll deal with attitudes all night.

Just my own experiences. I don't mean to talk you out of an 18watt, just trying to give you the benefit of my experience. If you play Rock mostly, and just want to be able to play the Blues occasionally, then yeah, the 18watt will do fine. If you want to start hanging out at Blues clubs and jamming, get a Fender.

9. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have Hang out at most blues Jams with my RT 18 watter and Had no issues or attitudes at all in fact I was complimented on the tone,
    come on out to Rae,s Lounge on Venice Blvd,in Culver City tonight and check it out your self,you can even do a tune or two no problem:dude

10. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

About a month ago I brought my Hot Cat 15 to a blues jam. Everybody wanted to play it. I didn't run through the gain channel. . .the clean channel cranked rocked. . . .er. . . ."bluesed". . .Anyway, to answer the first poster, I think an 18 watter would be quite cool to bring to a blues jam. One of the guys at the same blues jam was playing a Balls M18 with two G12H30's and a strat and he fit right in. Of course, the jam was hosted at his business.

Anyway, one guy played a Les Paul into a Deluxe Reverb, another guy was playing a Les Paul into a Blue Angel and another guy was playing his Tele into a Carr Rambler.

I think just about anything will fit into a blues jam. You've just got to have feel and music running through your veins.

11. George H

George H Member

I get some great blues tones w/ it. I stick a Pharaoh Class A boost or
    a FullTone FatBoost in front of it & it sounds larger than it's footprint.
    LPs, Strat, Teles, you name it, it's all good..........

[​IMG]

GH:)

12. 55 Jr

55 Jr Member

[​IMG]

Blues.

Best regards,

Brian