Marshall 1936 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sliberty, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sliberty

sliberty Member

Not too long ago, I bought a Marshall 1936 2x12 from the Jcm900 series. It's all MDF and loaded with the stock G12T-75 speakers.

To my ear, it seems rather mid scooped sounding. I wonder if this is caused by the cab itself, or the 75 watters. I was considering getting some Green Berets or maybe real Greenbacks or maybe even the 65's, but would like to hear from others if this will solve the scooped tone before I spend the money. I am mainly a classic rocker - not looking for hevy metal tones.

Any and all opinions are welcome here.

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

The 1936 has a reputation for being very beamy and directional. The MDF certianly isnt helping - but *anything* other than a 75 will be a big improvement if you want classic rock tones. I personally prefer Scumback 55hz speakers and/or G12H-30's.

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

What amp are you using with this cab?

I would say you can't go wrong with G12-65's or G12H30's for this cab, but it depends on the amp, 2 G12H30's won't hold up with a 100Watt amp.

I put 2 Classic Lead 80's in my 1936 copy cab, they sound great, but probably not the 1st choice for what you are looking for....

4. sliberty

sliberty Member

I use a few different amps actually, which is why I didn't mention them in the first posting.

Here are the main culprets:

JTM45
    Z-28
    Spitfire

5. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

take the back off, cu some new panels and make it open back and it will sound 100% better. Better yet- get a mojo or avatar vintage 2x12....

6. Category 5

Category 5 Member

We make a version of this cab in birch. Sounds great with greenbacks and 65's in closed back or with tone tubbies or jenson neo's in a semi open back(oval) configuration. I'd try changing speakers or the back panel before giving up on the cab.

DonR

7. sliberty

sliberty Member

Thanks Don. Seems the consensus is that the 75's are a big part of my problem with the scooped tone. So I think your advise is the way I will go. Different speakers will be my first try.

I have read here that some like the combination of a 75 with a V30 to help fill out the mids. That would be more cost effective for me since I would only have to buy one speaker, but I wonder if leaving the other 75 in place is my best choice. Have you tried that combination?

8. Category 5

Category 5 Member

Have not tried that one-honestly, the only way I like 75's is at full tilt with a marshall or trainwreck flavored amp. the 65's are more versitle(the way I would go with it), and the tone tubbies are great , but expensive. The Neo's are completely transparent-you better like the amp-because that is all you hear.

DonR

9. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

Stick 1 v30 in with the 75, if it gets better then buy another if it's still too scooped

10. griley

griley Member

The mdf 1936 is a horrible cab IMO, don't bother changing the speakers it will still sound bad. I would sell the cab and find a jcm 800 1936, it's all ply and much better. I've got one with a v30/mc90 mix that sounds great.

George.