Marshall 1959HW transformer questions...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by lespaul6, Jan 4, 2008.

1. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

I was told by an amp tech that due to the latest regulations regarding the use of "led" in manufacturing, Marshalls newer transformers...like the one in my 1959HW, do not contain the led, therefore cannot sound warm and smooth like the originals. Is this rubbish? is it partially true? What gives?:confused:

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Find me the 'lead' in a transformer?
    He is referring to the 'no lead ROHS compliancy laws.They use non-leaded solder now,but where exactly in a transformer would that be an issue?
    Tell your tech he needs to understand what he's trash-talking about.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's rubbish.

The RoHS regulations are quite a pain for a lot of reasons, and won't really achieve any useful environmental results... but not having lead in transformers is not one of them.

4. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

I thought it sounded suspect...but I withheld judgement just in case he had some technical point that was true. Have there been any sound comparisons using led solder vs the new formulation without led? I'm sure I could not tell the difference cranked up with a live band etc...anyway, thanks for the input guys!!!

5. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

The solder is just the 'glue' that holds a joint together.Nothing more.Leaded solder requires less heat to melt.That's it.Oh,and lead is toxic.
    The differences in tone are caused by transformer MAKE and how they are WOUND and what the primary IMPEDANCES are.
    Sound has ZERO to do with the type of solder used.
    Don't listen to that tech anymore.

6. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

He, of course, wanted to sell me a mercury magnetics transformer (which I know are quality transformers) however , totally unnecessary in my amp at the moment.

7. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Just a heads up. My buddy had the Metro mod done on the HW which included MM transformers we compared his modded mewtro amp to the stock amp minus the bright cap clipped. Recorded both to a 24 track studer. Not one person could tell the difference between the two.

8. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Clipping that bright cap really warms up those amps!They sound fab right out of the box.I'm surprised the MM tranny's didn't make it sound worse.I've got no use for them over Drake or Dagnall's.

9. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

Check with your buddy and I'll check my records, I don't recall putting a MM OT in any HW's. But I have done about half a dozen with my own Dagnall clone. Most of which were for professionals and are out on the road.

Sorry there wasn't a stark difference between the stock and modded amps on tape. If your friend is unhappy in any way, please have him contact me.

FWIW here is the documented changes I typically make to HW's, with sound clips:

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=6028

george

10. voodoosound

I stand corrected and aplogize it is indeed your dagnall clone. I asked him this morning. You also put in the Sozo caps correct? I can pm you his name if you like. I was hoping for some huge improvement and to be totally honest none of us heard it. Yes, he does use it on the road occasionally but prefers his 100Bs.

11. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

Yes, all the HW's I've modded have got the Sozo Vintage caps.

Sorry he was underwhelmed with my work. If he cares to touch base, maybe we can make a tweak or change to improve it.

Thanks for following up.

george

12. voodoosound

Thanks George I'll let him know. Although it has been a year since the work was done. We did the comparison about 2 months after he got it back. And I don't think he was underwhelmed. In fact when we opened up the chassis we were very pleased to find your work was very beutiful indeed. We just didn't notice a difference between the two when recorded.