marshall 1959hw

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john archer, Jan 12, 2006.

1. john archer

john archer Member

I thought about purchasing a marshall 1959hw and swapping all of the stock tubes for mullards. My goal is to get that 67-69 plexi sound with greater reliabillity and also at a reasonable price. I realize that this route is also pricey, but much less so than the real deal. I currently have a 50w plexi ri with mullards and the brightness cap removed, which I like. Any thoughts?

2. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Got one, love it...

The main difference from an old one is the power transformer and of course the age of the components.

It's got a 3" stack of iron on the power transformer instead of 2" - 2 1/2" on the original. There are obviously some other differences as well but those are the most obvious.

Compared to the originals, the 1959HW is a bit more aggressive and a little bit tighter.

I swapped out the 4,700pF bright cap on the treble volume for a 200pF and its now got a MUCH sweeter top end. The shrillness is gone, but it's still crisp and clear when I need it to be.

I also put a GT 12ax7 Mullard reissue in V1 and that improved the richness/complxity and character of the overdrive (IMO).

I think you'll like it, but would recommend that you play it first before you buy one if you can. I'm really digging mine at the moment.........

The amps sounds better to my ears the more I play it. :AOK

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I played a 1959 HW. It's a really good amp. I think there are other choices out there like Germino, Block head, Top hat and Metro Amps that can get you there for less money. George at metro goes to great lengths to keep things right.

He has a sound clip comparing an original '67 dagnall OT to a Mercury Magnetics and a Heybour he commissioned . It's pretty cool to hear.

on another note

BJM007,
    did you notice a significant loss of gain when you popped in the GT Mullard. Mine sounds cool, but very different from any other tube I put in there.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I love mine. Theres just something about a Marshall Clone when it says Marshall on it. Ya cant beat em.

There are lots of these folks out there building Marshall Replicas. Germino comes to mind. There seems to be a lot of guys out there who love the Germinos. George at Metro is a great guy too. I've got one of his Turret Kits in my JCM 800 2203.

Of coarse for the 18 watter the Supreme edition is the Balls M-18.

So many choices so little money.

5. john archer

john archer Member

Thank you guys for your thoughts...I have heard a few times that people are swapping the brightness cap out. Thanks
    John

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yes the Bright Cap has to go. I think BMJ007 uses a 100 pf in place of the gazillion pf thats in there. There is also a little Mod called the Parkhead Mod in wich you take the Broight Cap out and out a 470 k ohm resistor in its place. Mine has the Parkhead Mod and thats it. It even has the factory tubes which I dont know what they are because they say MNarshall on them.

Sounds good to me. :RoCkIn

7. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Wouldn`t it be more cost effective to just buy a 1959RI and put a PTP kit in it??

CT.:jo

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yeah you could look at it that way. The Trannys are different though. Youd have to change them by the time you get finished you have more in it than just buying the new Replica and the value of the reissue has drastically decreased. I had a reissue I had $2500.00 into it and could barley sell it for what a regular reissue goes for. I bet if I wanted to sell my Marshall HW I would come out a little better than that.

9. john archer

john archer Member

Hey Red Planet...could you post a sound clip or tell me were I could find one of the amp. I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    John

10. ricoh

ricoh Member

John .......unless it has to say Marshall I would look
    into a Germino. www.germinoamps.com
    There are some used ones in the emporium right now.
    With Germino's the warranty follows the amp. He has complete faith in his work.

Rico

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

You'd think for having played for 31 years I would know ho to post a freakin clip but I dont. I can make one hell of a binary recording but dont have any freakin clue as to how to post the crap. Thats one thing I have not mastered. Hopefully soon I will but with Welding what it is these days I may not have the time. Id be happy to mail you a disc if you'd like. Just PM me. :AOK

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

BTW Hers mine. Yuk yuk yuk.

[​IMG]

Its like having a 41 Magnum Smith & Wesson with a Hair Trigger and a Scope. Geese I hope I dont miss. :D

Ya cant beat these freakin Marshalls even if they is a bit unruly. :dude

13. Roe

Roe Member

have anyone tried the new HW jtm45/100 RI?

14. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

Not really, it still has crappy transformers.

15. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Have Trace @ Voodoo Build you one. Custom designed trannys, PTP, exact repro of a '68. For less than the price of a "real" Marshall reissue with circuit boards and crap trannys.

[​IMG][/IMG]

16. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

watcha got there, jpage? That looks pretty cool.

17. jpage

http://www.voodooamps.com/vplex.html

Hand built, custom reproduction of a classic 1968 plexi. Not a "take" on a '68 plexi, but the real deal. I realize that sometimes it sounds like I swing from the guy's stones, but believe me when I tell you that you will sound just like me once you open that box with your V-Plex in it. Like finding Hendrix's amp in your grandmother's attic.

18. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

First off, Dagnall is the company that made Transformers for Marshall back in the 60s and 70s as well as Drake. If oyu look, Dagnalls are even found in some of the early 80s 2203 JCM800s. They did a fantastic job thsi time around with the 1959SLP IMO. Dagnall has dropped the ball recently on a couple of the other reissue amps but I wont go into that. THis time they got it right in spades.

With that out of the way, I wouldnt change out anything in the new reissue 559SLP R.I. buts thats me. If there is a particular sound your looking for out there then Marshall has probably come up with it in one of their many designs over the many years. Everyone thinks that by modifiying their Marshall their gonna get this incredible tone that Marshall never thought of. WEll guess what, Marshall has thought of it, and then some. YOu have to do a little research into all of their designs and decide for yourself. Information is power, and power is knowledge, the knowledge to know what your about to sink $5,000 into before you run to FLEABAY in disgust with an amp you thought was going to sound great when all you ended up achieving is hacking the **** out of a beautiful circuit that no one will touch after its hacking !

All Im saying is that Marshall is the forefront of amplification, the one everyone else has been trying to emulate. SOme has succeeded in this emulation, many have only accomplished a cheap imitation, and some have fallin even shorter in their supposed :High Gain Monster" designs. These flavor of the week club designers think that by coming up with an amp that has tons and tons of cascading gain they are doing us all a big favor. Think again. Im not against the botuique amp builders by any means. I myself am looking at the BOgne rXTC classic. I know what it can do and ive put in 40+ hours on one tweaking it and then some getting some amazing tones. I also realize that it is a BOgner and NOT a Marshall. It has its own spoecial voicings and thats fine with me. Realize what your getting into.

19. jpage

Well, I am not a "high gain" player and I have played late sixties Marshalls and from my experience, the 1959RI that I owned (1998 model I believe) was noticeably "darker" that the real deal. Not surprisingly actually, as most every modern boutique "plexi" I have tried also cut most of the high end from the original tone. I guess it's modern tastes. I am no amp designer and couldn't tell a Drake from a Dagnall if it hit me in the face, but to my ears the Voodoo (w/custom reverse engineered MM trannys) is the only amp I've ever played that captures the same vibe as the original.

And my Voodoo was hand built for me for less than the CB Marshall RI.

20. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

I have never played on a Voodoo Plexi circuit before. I bet they sound great. Apparantly you can jump the channels as with the old Marshalls. He has some really good stuff over there. I wont knock Trace at all. He is a really good amp guy. I have heard many of his modded designs. He does do some good things with the TSL Marshall that i have heard as well. THat is an exception where I will say he took something that sounded good stock and made it better. Im not saying you cant improve on a good thing, just that there is already usdually an amp out there that your thinking of in your head that has already been built. I would LOVe to hear the VPLEX!! ANy soundclips of it Please ?YOu should go buy a TOnebone Hot British, jump the channels , and run the TONEBONE thru their. The TOnebone Hot British has a couple of mid boost and low end boost switches. TUrn those OFF. Also it has two knobs for added EQ/ Keep those STRAIGHT UPO which essnetially is running them FLAT or not adding any extra eq outside of what the VPLEX is already EQing. The TONEBONE sounds best IMO wby utilizing its Gain and Level knobs only. Let the VPLEX do all of the EQing from its front panel. YOur safe that way! I bet it would sound awesome!!!!!!