Marshall 1960HW (handwired) 4x12 cabs...what's the deal??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, May 23, 2006.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I keep hearing such great things about these cabs. I have to claim ignorance when it comes to anything newer than 1972 from Marshall. I understand the "handwired" amp series. But what's the deal with the handwired cabs?? Is it something more than just someone hand sautering the wiring to the speakers? Is the construction standard and material different than the standard 1960 line? Are they all birch ply and no partical board? I tried the Marshall website but they mention absolutely nothing in regard to materials or design so no help there. Please tell me what I'm missing and bring me up to speed. :(

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MEANT TO START A FLAME WAR OR DIS THE MARSHALL HW CABS* simply looking for more information.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

The speakers are special the rest is the same and they do look great.

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I think (not sure) that there is no particle board used.

4. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I checked mine tonight and it appears to be birch ply - no particle board.

5. GAT

It's like buying a high quality cab with great speakers that actually is a Marhsall! I use a Divided by 13 cab, but wish it said Marshall on it.

6. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

It's really frustrating that Marshall puts no more information about the construction details on their site than they do. I am notorious for changing speakers out of my cabs so I don't want to pay a major upcharge just for the speakers even if they are really good. If the construction and attention to detail are also on a different level then that's a whole different story and would certainly justify the higher price and I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up and give it a try. They really are gorgeous cabs but neither the name plate nor the aesthetics are what I'm interested in primarily. So if the build quality isn't on par with other cabs around this price range (Roccaforte, Divided by 13, Bruno, Mojave) then it doesn't make since for me.

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Marshall uses the same old cabs as they do with their other speakers. They cover them with a different tolex and grillcloth. After that they put Heritage model speakers in them and relieve your wallet of nearly a grand or more.

HW Cabs = ripoff in my opinion.

......but it that's what you are into, then by all means have at it.:)

8. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

The HW cab is $1200 at MF. $450 more than a regular 1960B, not a grand, not nearly a grand.. Given that the speakers are at least $100 more each than the standard Celestions, and the whole cab is birch ply vs. birch ply with particle board back, metal handles vs. plastic, etc....seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't own one, but I'd like to.

I have a Germino cab that I gave ~$600 for, unloaded. $800 for Heritage speakers would bring it to $1400. You can get a cab straight from Mojo for what, $400? Add $800 for speakers and you're back to $1200 again, but without the resale value of the Marshall name. Or you could pay a grand for a Bogner cab, sell the stock speakers and put in the Heritage and you'll be at about $1500 depending on what you can get for the stock speakers...

I don't know what it is about the HW series but it really brings out some bitterness in people. For years and years people bitched that Marshall didn't "make em like they used to"...so they start, and people are still complaining...

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone have any pics of a Marshall Handwired 4x12 cab on the inside to show the construction? If so, please email them to me. I have a few old Marshall cabs, and I could verify if they're made the same or not from the pics, assuming they're good close-up shots of the wood, baffle, etc....

10. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

FWIW...this thread was not meant to display or portray any bitterness towards Marshall. As stated in my initial post I had heard great things about these cabs so was interested in what the justification for the additional cost was beyond calling it a hand wired cab and giving it some nicer aesthetics. Marshall offers zero detail on materials or construction used in the HW series cabs which led me to believe that there was no difference between the HW and the standard 1960 other than aesthetics and price. The fact that the speakers are $100 more each is suspect as well. They are just another ceramic speaker are they not?? If they were alnico I could see the addition cost per speaker but as far as I know they're just another ceramic speaker.

Having said that... you are telling me exactly what I wanted to know about the build quality and materials used. Where did you get these facts because I could not find this information anywhere regarding partical board vs "all" birch ply construction. If all the upgraded details you mentioned are indeed there then I would be willing to pay the price to give one a try. I've paid a lot more than that for cabs in the past. Price is not the issue here. I am simply trying to justify the price before I pay it. If all the details you mentioned are fact then I will probably buy one of he HW cabs in the very near future.;)

11. lastwinj

lastwinj Member

my guess is marshall has seen the amounts people are willing to pay for boutique 4x12 (so they match) and decided to get in on it. also, the heritage speakers, don't think for a second that marshall pays much more for those than a vintage 30.

germ

12. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

My post was moreso directed at Rich's post and in particular the "grand or more" comment, which is simply untrue. I have a 1959HW and I'm quickly getting used to people dissing this amp left or right sometimes with flatout untrue comments like those above.

The details about the construction I remember reading on one of these forums (plexi palace maybe?) from somebody who had bought one - I agree Marshall's website is pretty useless unless you just want pretty pictures. Of course you could call them with any questions you have too.

My comment about the speaker prices has to do with the regular 1960B having T-75s or V30s or some other regular Celestion versus what's in the HW's. So no, they're not just another ceramic speaker. Yeah they're ceramics, but the 1960HW has the fancy-shmancy new "Heritage" G12H30's which sell for a street price of at least double the other Celes. Of course, lastwinj, Marshall doesn't pay that much for them, but that doesn't really help those of us who don't get things at their cost, but have to pay street price, does it?

But Fretmaster, back to your post about swapping speakers - if you fully intend to swap out the speakers, then it wouldn't make much sense to buy the 1960HW, where so much of the price is wrapped up in the Heritage speakers.

13. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I wouldn't buy the cab with the intention of swapping the speakers. Quite the contrary. I would be hoping to be happy enough with the cab to not change a thing. It's just not uncommon for me to swap speakers to get the tone I want down if the cab construction and inherent acoustics are very good rather than simply selling the cab and buying a different one. It's kind of like buying a killer guitar with amazing resonance and feel but the pickups suck. Simply swapping pickups is much easy if the guitars resonance and feel are there. The other way around doesn't work though. Great pickups won't make a flat guitar sound or feel much better. Likewise putting great speakers in a mediocre cab won't make it sound any more than mediocre. It sounds like this HW cab may hopefully have both. That's what I'm trying to find out for sure before I write the check. I am actually really hoping it is all that.:AOK

14. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

I also would like to see inside pixx of the HW cab.

15. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Steve-I have one-They're a lot of "Bang for the buck", IMO-The speakers sell for over 200 each, there is NO particle board, and they're great looking to boot-Great cab-One of the few things that I have that I'm not looking to sell or swap.....Imagine that!!:AOK I'd probably swap it for your RSA 23, tho.....:)

16. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'm sorry Ratter. I swear I am not trying to offend anyone. Either way, I still refuse to believe they aren't selling anything but a name. Like I said, if you dig the HW 4x12, then by all means go for it. I saw a pic posted of it and it didn't look any different inside than that of a regular 1960a to me. Maybe if you drug it down to the Tone institute where the guys all wear white lab coats with slide rules in the pockets walking amongst bubbly devices. It may be better, but I dont' believe it. So it doesn't have a particle board back. Big deal, the typical SM57 doesn't detect that it has a particle board back when it's mic'd on the cone anyways.

Heritage celestions are a huge rip-off as well in my opinion, but that's a whole other thread entirely.:NUTS :crazy $800 speakers...pfft.:messedup

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imagine that a freakin piece of crap. That Baltic Birch is known for sucking. :NUTS

There is no particle board in these Babys.

18. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Thanks for chiming in Mark. I don't know why I didn't think to email you. I had forgotten you had one and loved it. I'd like to peel that cab away from you but I can't part with my RSA23. She's one of my tonal dream amps! Man I bet she would sound shweeet through that cab! OK...that's it! I'm buying one. :NUTS :dude

19. GAT

I think Red Planet is selling his in the Emporium. You will love this cab and those speakers, they are keepers.

20. mlongano

mlongano Member

What Marshall pays for the speakers is irrelevant...they receive volume discounts based on their purchasing power of hundreds of thousands of speakers per year.

All that matters is what the speakers would cost you were you to purchase and install them yourself.

Reference:Jim Marshall, The Father Of Loud; page 78; in 2004 Marshall produced 6,500 "units" per week; that's well over 300,000 "units" per year; whether the unit they are referring to is a head, a combo, or a cabinet, that's a lot of Celestion speakers!!