Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker Rattling!!! Help! Please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by phono, Sep 15, 2008.

1. phono

phono Member

Hi Everyone,

I need a help from tube amps experienced people!
    I’m getting mad around a Combo Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker JTM 45 (year 2002)…
    I mean, I love it, I get wonderful tones from it, both clean and crunchy, but there’s a further unwanted noise around it…
    With a clean sound, the unwanted noise comes up mostly on the B and G strings (just some notes), if I switch the Wah pedal on (all the way up) the noise comes with almost any string and note.
    It’s like something that is shaking/rattling, a high frequency glassy noise.
    It happens both with Stratocaster and Telecaster. The noise appears from 2 to 4-5 volume and disappears at gigs volume (5 to 10…).
    Ok, it’s a combo and rattling is quite common, but this noise is particularly annoying…
    What I tried (without any result!) is:

1. Taking all the tubes spring retainers off (from the power tubes and rectifier tube), the noise was not from the springs…
    2. Playing the notes causing the unwanted noise, while clutching & tapping all the valves, the noise was still there…
    3. Replacing all the tubes (all preamp ones, both power ones, even the rectifier). All JJ (4 12AX7 + 2 6L6) except the rectifier which is a Sovtek. The tone is quite better but the unwanted noise is still there.
    4. Putting damping rings (the ones used by audio hi fi fanatics...) on all tubes (Five rings on each power tubes, two rings on all the others)
    5. Disassembly the amplifier from the cabinet: if I keep the amp a bit far from the cabinet & speakers, the noise decreases a lot
    6. Tried to tap a bit the amp case, but nothing is shaking…
    7. Tightened any screw of the amp
    8. Tried each speaker separately, the noise is still there…
    9. Took the amp to the technician where I usually take my amp for re-tubing but he gave me the amp back after 1 month without solving the problem…

I even tried taking the cabinet handle off!
    What else could it be? Any idea? Please help me!

Thanks!

Andrea (from Bologna, Italy)

2. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

I had a rattle/vibration on a Matchless SC30 once that turned out to be the grill cloth vibrating.

3. phono

phono Member

the noise start to disappear as I take off the amp from the cabinet & speakers, so I don't think that cen be the grill cloth.

Thanks anyway

4. Structo

Structo Member

Sounds like filament rattle.

5. phono

phono Member

Structo,

thanks for your reply, what do you mean as filament rattle? Filament inside the power valves? it would be weird since I tried different power valves and different preamp valves...

6. phono

phono Member

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I solved the problem!
    After keeping the amp 1 month to another technician, I checked myself what could have been the element that was vibrating and I found it! It was the covers of the output transformer, in most of them (Dagnall) you will find actually just two screws even if the covers include 6 holes (for 6 screws, 3 per part). I just added 4 screws and the unwanted noise has disappeard!
    Hope this can help someone, somewhere.
    Thanks to anyone who tried to help me anyway!

Bye

Andrea

7. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Holy crap that is awesome. A rattling transformer cover....