Marshall 1962HW and 1973x Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Firepie Uno, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Firepie Uno

Firepie Uno Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone played one of these amps, or both? Any comments? Really want to get a grasp on the sound & feel of these.

I have an opportunity to get one or both of these at a steal and am very interested. I have actually played the 1973x before, but wasn't able to crank it.

FYI - I own a Gemino (Club 40) and am well aware of Greg's build quality and value. Just looking for some feedback on the two Marshall's mentioned above - cost difference would be negligible.

Thanks a bunch.

2. d2_racing

d2_racing Member

I know that the 1962HW has a better resale value.

The 1962HW is the combo version of the JTM45 MK1.

The 1973x is based on the 1974x circuit from an another company.

Basically, the 1974x is a circuit clone from a company name that I don't remember.

3. d2_racing

d2_racing Member

1974/1973 combo is a marshall copy of a WEM dominator mk1 circuit. 1962 (bluesbreaker) is a tremelo JTM45 in a 2x12 cabinet.

4. Mikeishness

Mikeishness Member

I have the 1962HW. It is a huge sounding amp. I often use it with an attenuator unless I can crank it up without disturbing people. Otherwise, it ends up shaking the walls.

I only use channel 1. Channel 2 sounds too dark and muffled to me, although you can jumper the two channels together if you want to mix both together. I can get a nice Barracuda sound out of it with an OD pedal and a flanger.

This is the only Marshall I have played so unfortunately I don't know how to compare it with the others.