Marshall 1965b 4x10 - only 2 speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dayn, Apr 20, 2008.

1. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just acquired a Marshall 4x10 cab and was wondering if anyone has ever removed two speakers to make it a "ported cab." Would that work? If so, speakers on top, bottom, or one of each?

Or should I sell it and buy a Port City 2x10?

2. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I took the back baffle off and built a new baffle with a 9" X 15" port. It got rid of the boominess and over compression it had before. Much better sounding.

I'm sure making it into a detuned cab by removing two of the speakers will do pretty much the same thing. Some posters here swear by detuned cabs, but I haven't personally tried it.

I do prefer my 1965a with blackbacks to my 1960a with greenbacks though.

3. Alvis

Alvis Member

That's a couple o' mighty big ports

I made a new baffle and re-grilled because I wasn't on the road like I should be .Made it into a 2x12

Another one I have ,I took to Europe, put 200w bass speakers in it ,pulled the plastic handles off and the jack cup because they would make good ports for playin bass out of it (in my mind anyhow)
    It works great

I love those cabs.Like everything else,they're catchin on ,used to be able to get 'em fairly cheap

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

You could just disconnect 2 of the speakers and use them as passive radiators. I myself would just use all 4 speakers. I would like to get a 410 cab at some point....

5. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe I should just replace all 4 10" speakers with the new Celestion greenback 10's!