• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Marshall 1974x

DV52

I have been thinking (years.) about a JTM45,Germino LoVo 45.I asked
friend that plays out about it. He asked me where I was playing other than my living room. I of course said nowhere. He said 18 watt1974x.
I had looked at one before.
My computer will not let me do links, so I can say a few demos that were good. James Mulvaney.

Jeffery Bauer.TV Jones Classic and Gretcsh Duo Jet.

Lover's Play,Marshall 1974x clean.

Last edited:

Arewenotmen?

Yep. The 1974x is a great amp. You may also want to consider the 20 watt 2061x. They are very similar amps.

Supercubziggy

i love my 1974x. Tranny issues and all. Its got a fantastic clean and dirty tone. It is not bedroom levels however. 18 watts gets pretty loud in your house...

megaboogie

Silver Supporting Member
I love mine but I wouldn't get a 1974X as a living room amp.
They are meant to be cranked and they do get loud.

blues

Silver Supporting Member
I had a 1974x. I cranked it all the time in my house. Its loud but thats how they are meant to be played.

So if you cant do that I would look for something else.

For myself I could give a rats*** if any one dont like that.

Also realize when some one tells you to get an attenuator you still have to play loud enough to get its benefits. That may be too loud for house use for some people.

Last edited:

RJLII

I have a 1974X clone. They sound great. They do get loud, but you can get some nice snarl and growl at reasonable volumes.

ac/dcfan87

I have an Avatar 18 1974x clone which also has the more modern Plexi-style preamp, TMB channel. It just nails classic rock tones. It was the amp that finally satisfied me. I find myself playing the NMV Normal Channel the most.

rockinlespaul

My main amp for years was a 1974X. I loved that amp but had to sell due to health/finances. I replaced that with a Ceriatone 18 watt TMB with a master and that is a great amp as well but I miss the Marshall so I just bought a 2061X that I am really looking forward to checking out!

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Reinhardt MI-6 head that I absolutely love. It is great running an ABY box with these amps as well.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I had an early 1974X combo - it turned out to be one of the ones with the bad Dagnal (sp?) factory re-issue transformers - as soon as it was known news that the orig xformers were bad, I had my tech install a Mercury Tone Clone output and power transformers - I did this before Marshall even decided to replace the OEM transformers on a recall - I was gigging the amp and just didn't want to mess with a possible fail. I eventually traded the amp, as my tone needs moved on - however that 1974X was an amazing amp with the Merc xformers in it - trademark pushed Marshall amp tone for days and days (Fire & Water, oh yea; thank you & bless you Paul Kossoff) .

Last edited:

andrekp

Don't rule out the 18watt clones. certainly if YOU are capable with a soldering iron, consider building your own. You can build one at least as good, if not better, than the Marshalls, for a fraction of the price - and tweak it to your desire. Prefer a TMB to a Trem channel? Want just a single channel? want the same circuit as a 36 watt? Clones are the way to go. There are some great clone makers out there as well, if you just want to buy one. (It's worth remembering that the clones actually preceded the 1974x, so they are nothing to be sneezed at [Marshall didn't]).

That 1974x stack someone posted above is a thing of beauty.

DV52

Yesterday I saw an add for one. So I went to check it out . He had a strat and an 52 avri tele on hand . I have an avri52ri and a strat and an Lp. I can say it was outstanding. It was an older one that had the transformer replaced. It was in mint condition.

I know Stu Blue says these are in the Vox camp,this may be so but I have an AC30C2 and the 1974x seemed warmer to my ear. Now if it had just a smidge more clean headroom. But The combo sounded damn good.

drpicklo

Silver Supporting Member
Just a comment: For those who need more volume, all you need is a more efficient speaker (i.e. broken in V30, celestion blue/gold). I've heard this a few times for playing with multiple guitarists and many don't realize the 20 watt Greenback G12M is only 96db.

jmp

Silver Supporting Member
Been playing my 1974X since 2005 and it's been my only amp since 2008. It's too loud for home use. I've tried to sell mine several times but can't seem to part with it. It is such a classic tone.

I'm now considering an attenuator to help tame the volume.

brwn bggr

Another plug for the Avatar...
Though it does sound best cranked,almost spiritual,I can still get a very satisfying sound with the TMB channel and the master below "2"...good enough for a grin to me...I have no problem playing in one of the bedrooms,without drowning out the tv in the living room...still,there is no denying that once it's cranked,it gets pretty loud,but has the sound that owns my soul...no amp ever,has fit me like this one...

drpicklo

Silver Supporting Member
The small Dr. Z attenuator works well for home use.

I use a TS808HW with mine anyway with the gain set to 4 on the 10 scale (semi-breakup) and it rips that way. Great match and can still use it at bedroom levels to practice/write.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom