Marshall 1974x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Groovysnoopy113, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Groovysnoopy113

Groovysnoopy113 Member

Hey all I own a 1966 Vibrolux Reverb that I have been using for the last 4 months that has been my number one gigging and recording amp. But lately I have been jonesing for a Marshall 1974x 18 watt. It just breaks up so perfectly, cleans up, and it has tremolo. I was wondering if it would be worth the swap or am I just being short sighted. thanks all

2. katarzis

katarzis Member

hi, if you love the vibrolux, and if you can, get it as a second amp.

3. Groovysnoopy113

Groovysnoopy113 Member

I can't afford the two. Not to mention I love actual tube overdrive

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Have you tried the amp with your band live? I have a similar amp (ceriatone 18watt tmb ef86), and it doesn't quite cut it when it comes to my Classic Rock Power trio. But it might work with a light handed drummer. If you plan to just play at home, and record, then I suggest looking into an 18 watter for sure!

dk

5. Groovysnoopy113

Groovysnoopy113 Member

I'm a session guitarist and in every live, studio, gig I haven't once encountered where my amp wasn't going through the PA. Heck a 18 watt head through a 30 watt speaker is plenty loud

6. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

A used clone,and there are PLENTY of great manufacturers doing them,can easily be found in the $500-700 range right now!

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

1974x are great little amps and they look killer too!

I was GASing for one bad the past few weeks but since toned down from the recent pickup of a D13 EDT!

You can actually pickup up a preowned one fairly inexpensive when you compare to the price of them new. I'd expect to pay from 1k to 1300.00 tops.

8. dunara

dunara Member

I use my 18 watter for bigger gigs, where it's mic'd through the PA and back through the wedges; JTM45 for smaller gigs with no mic'd backline. The 18 watter sounds sweeter, but with Slugger McGraw in full flight, sticks and drool all over the place, the poor wee bugger gets swamped....

9. rcl

rcl Member

No problems with mix with my goodsell17 or my voxer 18. Both have more than enough to bury the drummer. If anything, they are a little too loud. I can't get the volume up to 8 where they really sing, because then the singers can't hear themselves.

10. drewl

drewl Member

I'd keep the Fender and possibly get an 18w clone.
    All my 18w clones are loud enough for me to gig with by themselves, especially into a 4x12 cab, but I often use an 18w with my 67 Pro Reverb which is alot like your Vibrolux.....I'll be using that pair tomorrow fo an Octoberfest outdoor gig....about 5-6 hundred people with massive PA.

11. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I don't care for the new 1974X reissues, but an old one is really nice. As for new amps in that style, the Blankenship "carry-on" is my fav...

12. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

Don't sell it. You own major history there, and you'll only regret it BIGTIME down the road. Patience is a darn good virtue. Get a (hand wired) clone or save u for the real deal, but whatever you do, don't sell that piece of American history. Get a good od pedal to fill the GAS till you can get the 1984X or whatever.

FYI - checkout a Lovepedal COT 50 blue through it... very nice, sweet and Plexi like. Or perhaps a Menatone Blue Collar? There are cheaper ways to chill the GAS w/o selling the VBR.

13. hangten

hangten Member

yeah - don't sell it.

the only real mistake I've make in amps (besides getting talked into a 100 watt solid state fender POS when I was 15) was selling my '72 vibrolux.

I regret it to this day.
    I now have a DRRI and a 1987x which are a great pair.

Hold what you got, and tuck away a little extra every week/month till you can get the marshall!

14. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

Having previously owned a great '74 Vibrolux Reverb, I now have a 1974X as my only amp. I would definitely recommend picking up a 1974X at some point, BUT if I were in your shoes I would hang on to that Vibrolux. Even if you decide today that you're not a Fender guy and Marshall's where it's at, the day will eventually come where you want that sweet, scooped-mids, splashy Blackface sound again, and that's when you'll wish you still had the Vibrolux.

If money is an issue you can buy a 1974X used or get one of the many quality clones.

Actually, your 35 watt Vibrolux set about halfway up the volume knob would be a great compliment to a cranked 18 watt 1974X. You could use an A/B switch to get clean sounds from the VR and overdrive from the Marshall, a la Eric Johnson.

15. Groovysnoopy113

Groovysnoopy113 Member

wow guys thanks for the advice. What brand of clones would you reccomend?

16. dunara

dunara Member

I owned an original 1974 for 27 years, and I can tell you that the reissues are tonally more or less identical - perhaps the trem sounds slightly better in the new ones. There was an issue with the transformers in the earlier reissues, but that seems to have been addressed.
    However, I've yet to hear a clone which doesn't sound better than the original. Gabriel, Reinhart, 65, Throbak, Blankenship, Brownnote and many more. Not all of these are clones, exactly - let's face it, it's a design that invites updates and improvements.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  17. 56_Special

56_Special Member

There are a lot of good clones out there. Just wait for a used one to pop up in the Emporium.

BTW, don't sell your Vibrolux!

18. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Keep the vibrolux man...you will thank us later ;)

19. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

I bought one from Ceriatone for about 600 shipped brand new.

20. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

To be fair, you undoubtedly bought the chassis for $600. Cab & speakers, and/or extension cab, are extra. BTW, no offense intended -- I'm thinking very seriously about buying a Ceriatone Marshall 18W clone later this month...

D7