Marshall 1982a worth....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by orjay, Oct 11, 2005.

1. orjay

orjay Guest

A coworker wants to sell this 4x12 slant cabinet... I'm trying to find out what it is worth. I can't find any reference to it on the internet except that Pete Townsend used them (may be called a lead cabinet). It's rated for 125 Watts, the tolex looks horrible, but it sounds really nice. Looks like original speakers. Any ideas???? I can email photos if you think you can help. I'm not sure how to post photos yet. Just let me know.

RJ

2. orjay

orjay Guest

Certainly there's a Marshall guru out there that wants to share his (or her) knowledge!

3. Distortion

Distortion Member

Send me some pictures..
    Make sure you include pictures of the speakers and the cone codes..

4. 908SSP

908SSP Member

1982a is a high power version of a 1960 made between 81 and 87. The first two years they were rated at 320 watts and after that 400 watts. Your looking a $500 cab in very good condition. If it is as you say a 120 watt cab then either the speakers aren't original or it is miss labeled. It would be worth more with four greenbacks or four V30s.

5. orjay

orjay Guest

Distortion, the pics should be in your mail. Thanks. If the speaker codes aren't visible, let me know and I'll take a closer look.

RJ

6. Roe

Roe Member

they also made 1982 cabs in the sixties. 1960 cabs was 75 watt (4 20w speakers); 1982 cabs said 100w (4 25 OR 30 watt speakers).

the cab could be original IMHO

7. orjay

orjay Guest

Would it be a bad thing to have a speaker that has a higher power rating if you never really pushed it? What kind of difference (sonically) could you expect if you compared it to a similar speaker of a lower rating? My son plays a solid state amp that he's had for years and gets most of his tone from pedals. I'm looking forward to building a tube amp for him soon and maybe then we can be more discriminating when it comes to speaker selection. Your thoughts?

RJ

8. 908SSP

908SSP Member

They made "1982" not "1982a" which is what he asked about. :rolleyes:

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

It it's for real, the 1982 should look like this one...
    [​IMG]

10. Distortion

Distortion Member

The cabinet is a checkerboard probably somewhere in the mid 70's.
    The speakers are Rola G12-80's with 444 cones and are not original to the cabinet.
    The original speakers would have been 30 watters because the cabinet is labeled 120 watts.

The cabinet would be worth refurbishing if you like the sound, but it really depends on the price you could get it for...

Hope this helps.

11. Roe

Roe Member

You're correct. But it's still possible that he should have said 1982 and not 1982a.

12. Swarty

Swarty Member

FWIW, I've seen several of these high powered cabs that still had the 120w round badge on the back. I've also seen several w/ 65w speakers that were labeled 100w. These seem to be from around '79. I'd wager your speakers are stock... and also that the date codes would be from late '78 - '81.