Marshall 1987x vs Germino options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by piper19, Jan 18, 2020.

1. piper19

piper19 Member

Hi all, I've been looking to replace one of my Bassman 59RIs with something that has a little more Marshall flavour.
    I contacted Greg Germino and he steered me towards a Club 40 or 55LV because of their cleans in a gigging environment. He wrote to me that a classic 45, although closer in circuit to a Bassman, will have less headroom than my Bassman, and I need some cleans for gigging. Dirt will be from pedals as most venues have noise restrictions.
    Now some guy wants to trade one of my Bassmans for his 1987X.
    What can I expect compared to the Germino offerings? (Besides build quality, which I know is better with Germino of course). I read the 1987X without attenuator is too loud for even big gigs? I don't read something like that with the Germino offerings. Is there a big sound difference? The 1987X sounds always a little harsh and bright on youtube, but everyone seems to put it on 10 in every recording. Is it useable for cleans? Clipping the bright cap?

Hilltopper likes this.
  2. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

Well, I've owned a Bassman RI LTD and now a 1987x RI

First, I didn't find the two amps to sound very similar.

Second, while I consider the Bassman to be one of, if not, the loudest amp I've owned. The Marshall probably puts out more decibels, but to me the Bassman sounded louder.

Third, I use an Attenuator 100% of the time with my Marshall. If you don't clip the bright cap or use an Attenuator, it may be too loud for your purposes.

Fourth, I clipped the bright cap and put a 100k(?) cap across the bright volume pot, and it sounds fantastic (with usable clean headroom.)

Hope that helps!

DiPa likes this.
  3. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Yeah agree, I own the Marshall 1987x as well as the Bassman, I agree, add an attenuator with the 1987x and you will love it. Germino are glorious, so depending on what you want to do, you can’t go wrong either way.

Zuper likes this.
  4. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I own a Club 40 and Lead 55 (not LV). They are excellent amps. I have owned and played many Marshalls and Marshall-style amps and Greg's amps just do it for me.

The 1987x sounds excellent, but different from Greg's amps. It will certainly get you into similar territory, and a few mods can get it even closer. I had some reliability issues with a couple of the Marshalls I owned many years ago, and that left me concerned about owning or depending on them again.

Greg's knowledge and build quality are excellent, and his amps sound fantastic. Germino for me, but you've got to pay to play.

5. piper19

piper19 Member

Thanks all. I'm thinking I might go the 1987X route, as it's my first Marshall type I will own. Might still add a Germino later on and keep the Marshall as backup if I like it.

But from what I read everywhere and again in this thread, the 1987X is pretty useless without attenuator... do you guys mean to have distortion from the amp, or is it even too loud set clean with dirt added from pedals only?

Th Bassman I can set at very low volume (clean) and add pedals, and it will sound ok. Not so with the 1987X?

6. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

You can use your 1987x with pedal and no attenuator and it’s great.
    Also, if you plug directly, it is a clean amp until you crank her up, does get bloody loud, use ear plugs, I sometimes enjoy plugging directly and cranking up.
    I use 4x12 cabs, Greenbacks and or V30s.

piper19 likes this.
  7. Butch1970

Butch1970 Supporting Member

You may want to test drive a Club 40. Plenty of headroom and bass spec.Might be the midpoint you’re looking for between Bassman and Marshall-style. Will also take any pedal you can throw at it.

piper19 and JackButler like this.
  8. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Wouldn't clipping the brightcap make it louder ?? Or at least make the amp cleaner so it takes more volume to distort ??

9. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Had the Club 40 years ago and it’s one of the few I wish I had kept.
    I’ve had a few 1987x’s modded and stock. They are a great amp. Yes, loud and have to crank to give up the goods, but the edge of breakup cleans are awesome. Still, Club 40 much better imo.
    Recently on the hunt again for a Marshall flavored and saw what a new 87x is going for! No thank you.

10. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

Sort of.

Thing is, on these amps I feel like the max volume is reached very quickly on the dial, and as you turn the volume further overdrive increases but volume really doesn't. (It's still super loud lol.)

I'm more of a classic hard rock guy, and stock I found the overdrive to sound very obnoxious--i truly don't know if that's the point (modern sound), because I'm really not familiar with much modern rock or it's tones.

Once I clipped it, the over drive immediately smoothed out to the classic Marshall sound we all know.

piper19 likes this.
  11. piper19

piper19 Member

Do the Germino C40/55LV have bright caps?

12. Benny

Benny Member

So, a couple of things:
    - The Marshall 1987x is a very capable gigging amp if you're planning on using pedals for dirt, particularly if you use the normal channel and/or blend the two channels. Plenty of good cleans to be had at a range of overall volumes. While an attenuator would be helpful if you're trying to get into the amp's native overdrive, I've found it to be fine as a clean amp without one, especially if you have some inefficient speakers. If you're running out of headroom with a tweed bassman, I doubt you'd need much, if any, attenuation to get some really nice cleans out of the 1987x.

- I happen to prefer bass-spec plexi circuits over the lead-spec circuits (like the 1987x), especially if I'm going to rely on pedals for dirt, so I'd be inclined to lean towards something like the C40, but we're talking about preferences here.

- If you can try the 1987x before committing to the trade, I think that'd likely shed a lot of light on the situation.

piper19 likes this.
  13. VICOwner

VICOwner Supporting Member

I would put the bright cap on a pull pot on a 1987x. To me the #1 channel is just too aggressive with the cap. Once that’s done you’ll have a pretty nice amp.

Butch1970 and piper19 like this.
  14. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

@piper19

Germino. Tell him about your concerns.