Marshall 1987XL reissue...NICE!

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
My friend, Greg Golden, at Bizarre Guitar in Reno loaned me a new, off the shelf Marshall 1987XLl reissue.

Man, it really sounded good. I was impressed! I really thought it sounded warm, nice gain, no harshness, great cleans and lead tones. Took pedals like a champ. I did not try out the effects loop as I never use them.

I used it through my Aracom attenuator and Kerry Wright 2x12 w/ASW Crossroads speakers. Great tone! I'll have to pick one up one of these days!

melvins

Silver Supporting Member
These are seriously great sounding amps! I used mine with a Avatar 1x12 and webber mass attenuator. Killer rig, miss it. Thinking of getting another.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Do you mean that Germino has some competition now? :)

ledzep618

Yep the 1987x is killer, I had one for a while with a great PPIMV installed. Wonderful no pedals amp.

sgmarshall

It goes under the radar, one of my favorite amps ever. Construction is on par with the 70's versions, chassis mounted tube sockets, chassis mounted pots, reliable as heck.

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Another 1987x fan here. Lots of love on marshall forum as well.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
it has taken years for some of you men to realize....
All the fussing over amps the last 12 years and this puppy has been under our nose the whole time. LOl. Actually I played one of these years ago and thought it rocked. Kinda loud but fun.

GAT

I think it sounds about as good as any new boutique "Marshall" I've owned. With the Aracom, volume isn't an issue. I love my Caveman OD and Vertex Boost into it. Strats, Tele's and humbucker sound great and the amp cleans up really well.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Marshalls doesn't need any stinking "mods" ;)

:aok

Nazgul666

I was looking into this. I play Dio, Priest, Maiden, etc. Any of you guys use an OD pedal before it? Would that work for me?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I was looking into this. I play Dio, Priest, Maiden, etc. Any of you guys use an OD pedal before it? Would that work for me?
Classic pedals to use would be Tube Screamer, MXR Dist, Boss DS-1 and OD-1 as a start. :)

Classic09

So we're talking about the bog standard Marshall 1987X? And comparing it favourably to a Germino and Metroamp 1987?

I'm only asking as I used to own a Marshall 1987X which I absolutely regret selling. It was an amazing amp but I wanted a channel switcher.

donbarzini

Silver Supporting Member
So we're talking about the bog standard Marshall 1987X? And comparing it favourably to a Germino and Metroamp 1987?

I'm only asking as I used to own a Marshall 1987X which I absolutely regret selling. It was an amazing amp but I wanted a channel switcher.
I have a Germino HR100, I would still like to have a 1987X again as well. There is no magic in the circuits except many will lead you to believe that hand built by so and so with special magic parts is far superior. It's all B.S. The dollars spent are hearing for you….

Trending Topics