Marshall 2061X issue (reprise).....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tmac, Jun 6, 2006.

1. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

I had a thread a while back but it looks like it was lost in the server meltdowns...anyway, my baby Marshall 2061X 20W head had a little meltdown of its own and through the help I received from John Phillips and others who's names I can't remember (thanks!) we were able to determine that the output tranny was the most likely suspect. Last week I replaced the OT with a nice Heyboer that I got from Doug Hoffman and it sounds wonderful. I'll post some pics when and if Sony repairs my camera that had a meltdown of it's own...seems like everything is in crash and burn mode right now...must be some kind of astrological planetary alignment thingy....:crazyguy

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Glad to hear your Marshall is back up and running. I hear ya on the crash and burn stuff lately....camera's, TGP hard drives....etc due to planetary alignment irregularities......I usually lean towards demonic possession in such cases , but I could be wrong. Anyway glad to hear your amp's fixed.
    Dave C

3. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about the Baby Marshall RI having a meltdown... and that you had to pay to get a decent transformer in there.

The Les Paul Forum/Amplifiers page is full of owner stories about the 2061x and the 1974x each having transformer problems. Marshall/Korg has GOT to be well aware of the problem by now.

Did you have any luck replacing the transformer under warranty? Just curious, not buggin' ya. 'Cause this is becoming a well-known problem with those two amps, and it's Marshall's problem, not yours.

Kiwi

4. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

I emailed Marshall and they asked me to send the amp to a Marshall authorized repair center of my choosing and to include the sales receipt. I'm not the original owner but i probably could've got a copy of the receipt and sent it off. But after thinking about all the hassle with shipping it off somewhere and shipping costs and having some tech i don't know install another Dagnall OT that may or may not be dependable, I thought it was best to just go ahead and spend the $60 on a nice tranny and do the work myself because I know it will be right. The only thing i couldn't do is the nice lacing of the wires like Marshall does on these. I just used the regular locking white plastic wire ties. looks good just not as cool as that lacing. What is that stuff anyway? Can you get it anywhere?

5. Lashing

Lashing Member

This is just insane for an amp of this price tag.

I own a 1974x and a 1959HW. No tranny problems yet. I run the 1974x almost daily full out and it hasnt had a problem.

However I had 2 1974x's at home before I settled on number 3. The first was dull sounding. Probably a short in the tranny(?) It was a little weak. The second sounded killer but would cut in and out. That scared me. Right in the middle of playing it would cut out then come back on. Sometimes it would sputter a bit and then I had some trouble with ghost notes. The tone was killer but I took it back as I forsaw some big problems.

The third I still have. It sounds killer and has worked fine.

The 1959HW has worked fine but I use it not so often due to the extreme volume. Also the bright channel is a little "icepick". I may snip the bright cap off the input. I hate to do this to such an amp but many others have had success with it. I just dont like to muck around with an amp like that.

I like the 2061x but the one in my local shop sounds weak. Much like the weak 1974x they have that I returned.

I would definitely say try before you buy. The craftsmanship of these amps is not so great. I checked out the insides of all the amps I had and the solder joints were sloppy in all of them. Also there was one that had burnt caps - as in someone rested a solder iron against them. Thats so not cool for an expensive amp.