Marshall 2061x issues??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KRay, Dec 18, 2005.

1. KRay

KRay Member

Hey folks. I am starting to become concerned here as my 2061x is back in hte shop for the second time in less than 6 mos. The first time my tech said that it was just a solder joint that had been missed by the assembler but it started acting up again and had to go back. It was doing the same thing. When I turned it up past 1/2 way it sounded like I was playing through speakers that had been shredded. Low on power as well. Is anyone else having issues? What's going on here? I LOVE this amp and I don't want to have to find a similar replacement. Can anyone guess what it could be? I trust my amp tech but he hasn't had a chance to look at it yet this time. Any stories or ideas would be appreciated. Not trying to slag this amp cause they sound great but I hiope this isn't indicative of this model.
    Take care
    Kevin:(

2. jjguitarranch

jjguitarranch Member

Send it to Marshall directly. Get it fixed under warranty for free. It sounds like a problem they have been having with the output transformer.

3. KRay

KRay Member

Can I send it directly to them? I was under the impression they would make me take it to an authorized service center. can anyone elaborate on the xfomer issues?

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I've had zero issues with mine.

5. pepperco

pepperco Member

My output tranny has been replaced twice.
    All of my feelings about this have been detailed
    in this thread at the Plexi Palace

http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=38785&highlight=kerplunk

Its a drag, but the amp still sounds so good,
    darnit all to heck.

I hate amp techs who BS me with crap like
    "it was a loose solder joint" and then you bring
    it home and it does the same thing..... :FM
    Did you ask for a refund on the first repair?
    Was it an authorized Marshall repair center?
    If possible I would try another amp tech.

My 2 tranny's were replaced under warrenty,
    no cost to me. If the third one blows I'm going
    to see about a replacement / refund. Which
    is a shame, because the amp sounds awesome.

6. rastaman

rastaman Member

Zero problems w/ mine also. 5yr parts and labor, I'm not worried. BTW, I even use a THD Hotplate on 1 click.

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Marshall is running those EL84s at a very high voltage, when I took a reading on mine I was surprised. I've been hearing reports of failures because of this. The big amp makers are usually more conservative with this kind of thing. Myself, I prefer the tone or EL84s being run at these higher voltages in my homebrews, but to save tube life I use higher value screen resistors, approx. 2.2K, this settles things down a bit without loosing the tone advantage of running the EL84s at 390volts. I intend to do this with my 2061X whenever I can get around to it.

8. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I just got one this Monday. I noticed a strange distortion like noise also a couple of days ago. Today I thought it might be a speaker problem, so I plugged my Rt66 in to the cab, and no noise. I'm just going to return it though, that's to much $$ to be tied up in an amp that I have to worry about.

9. ahab

ahab Member

ducmike...since you are getting rid of your Marshall, allow me to suggest looking into a TopHat Club Royal combo. It is the greatest amp that I have ever played!
    -Ahab

10. rastaman

rastaman Member

Mr. PlexiBreath, is this 2.2K resistor you speak of safe to put in my 2061X? I'd love to "settle things down a bit without loosing the tone advantage of running the EL84's at 390volts."

Also, what wattage? 1/2w or higher?

11. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I love the idea of one of the 20-watters. I'm one of the people that is waiting to buy one until they fix the transformer issue. There have been so many reports of problems that I would think Marshall will have to fix the issue.

12. KRay

KRay Member

I know this is a different animal to a degree but did the originals have this problem?

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I know a local guy here that had his 2061 go down on him during a gig.
    He was absolutely livid.:BITCH

He was thankfull he had a crate powerblock that got him through.:AOK

14. brent

brent Member

I've had mine for 10 months with no issues running it hard, but I am in need of a new set of powertubes. What a great amp.

15. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

No issues so far. :AOK
    Great amp. I got mine used about two weeks ago so it has traveled across the USA a couple of times. It gets turned up regularly and sounds great. I haven't measured the plates on mine yet but I will, maybe adding the screen resistors as suggested.

16. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I had a 2061X for a year and ran it HARD pretty much all the time. Gigged, practiced, and recorded with it. Other than replacing the tubes in October, I never had any problems or issues with it. Certainly no failures with the transformers.

--chiba

17. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I can't say for sure, but I've been messing with these amps for the last few years and haven't had or heard of a problem. That would be a real bummer on a piece of vintage gear. They're some sweet little amps for sure.