• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Marshall 2061x owners: who here has done the 'split cathode' mod?

Grenville

Over the years there seem to have been mentions of a 'split cathode' mod for these amps.

Here's one: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/5981852/

A bit thinner on the ground is anyone actually having done it and reporting back.

So here I am, asking on behalf of anyone curious if this lovely amp can sound better still: who has actually had the split cathode done to their Marshall 2061x, and what were the results for you?

DrainBamage

Split cathode for the el84s bias?
I was interested about the mod from reading your post and read the links. Nothing in there helpful. So with that said Id assume its nothing special.
All I can think it would do is allow for unmatched tubes to be matched. But why? They sound better unmatched.

A more useful mod would be cascading the normal to the bright channel.

Bush

My 2061x is stock, but I am interested in learning about the swank cascading mod. How to do it ? is it reversible ? What are the pros and cons ? etc.
And also interested in just what is the benefit of swapping out the stock transformer for a Mercury transformer ?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Main advantage of a MM transformer is that there were some early models that blew up, so you remove that risk. Sound-wise I suspect it'd be a thing of taste, I'm more than happy with the sound of mine!

Meriphew

I love the sound of my 2061x with the stock xformer, but I'm always a little worried that it will blow at the most inopportune moment.
My 2061x is stock, but I am interested in learning about the swank cascading mod. How to do it ? is it reversible ? What are the pros and cons ? etc.
And also interested in just what is the benefit of swapping out the stock transformer for a Mercury transformer ?
Main advantage of a MM transformer is that there were some early models that blew up, so you remove that risk. Sound-wise I suspect it'd be a thing of taste, I'm more than happy with the sound of mine!

Bush

I love the sound of my 2061x with the stock xformer, but I'm always a little worried that it will blow at the most inopportune moment.
I run my 2061x cranked every night at 4 Ohms pushing two 8 Ohm 2061cx cabs. Never any problems with transformers and I love the tones also. I'm curious if and how a MM transformer changes the tone.

Dan40

Silver Supporting Member
Are you referring to splitting the cathode of V1? With Marshalls, this is usually what people are referring to. It involves removing the single cathode resistor that biases both sides of V1 and installing separate resistor for each half of the tube. This would allow you to bias the triodes slightly hotter or cooler but whether it sounds any better is subjective. Just for reference, JTM 45 is shared cathode sound while Superlead is split.

Trending Topics