Marshall 2061X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ac/dcfan87, Nov 28, 2014.

1. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Member

I just got a Marshall 2061X. It sounds very good also btw. I'd like to know some more information about the amp and useful settings if possible. Can anyone contribute some info?

Thanks.

2. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Great amp I had one for awhile.
    Just crank it. But it with a good boost if you need more dirt,

Bluesman79 likes this.
  3. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

I have used one for years (original 1972) . I bridge the channels , and I use a high quality attenuator to reach the sweet spot (6ish on lead ch) ...that's loud on this amp. It loves pedals... great rig , can cover everything. I favour a two rock 1x12, with efficient speaker ... more versatile for my purposes .... but a 2x12 with greenbacks is a blues/rock players dream.

Enjoy

4. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

My 2061x is my main amp these days. Invest in good power tubes and a good tube for V1. Modern Sovtek is fine in V2. The way it sounds best is hi input on the lead channel and crank it. It's a little dark at times so I like to run an eq into it. Try putting a MKI Tonebender in front - it's a thing of beauty.

5. Oatie

Oatie Member

I have a 1973 2061 on the top of this stack, I first had some new production EL84 tubes, then I got a really nice organ pull set of Amperex Holland from the mid-1960s, these tubes doubled the sound of the amp. I got lucky and got a strong set, but they are killer. The look like the Mullard EL34 Blackburns in construction, they have the dual post halo and the wings at the top.

the other great set I have are old stock Sylvania EL84, really good tubes.

I use Mullard for the pre-amp. (old blackburns)

[​IMG]

6. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

forgot to note I bridge the bass ch mostly for single coils ... it can dial up a fuller sound , but I pull it and use the lead ch only for humbuckers ...

as far as tubes , never have changed v1,v2 ..came with NOS Telefunken v1, and NOS Brimar v2 ...... JJ EL84s have served me well , which I change min every 6 mos (mostly a quirk of mine, but I do attenuate the amp ...so )

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  7. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

I posted the following in february of 2009:

1-plug the guitar to the top input of the Bass ch.

2-set the Tone knob of the Bass ch. to 10.

3-set the Tone knob of the LEAD ch. to almost 8.

4-set the Volume knob of the LEAD ch. to almost 8.

5-Finally, turn the Volume knob on the Bass ch. anywhere from 2 to 6(this depends on weather you are using single coils or humbuckers and personal taste in volume.

WARNING: DO NOT JUMPER the LEAD with the BASS ch. As strange as it may sound, the Lead ch. Volume and Tone controls interact with whatever you are doing with the Bass ch. without jumpering them.

The sound coming out of the amp will be crystal clean with lots of top end sparkle and with a rounder and deeper bass, very different in tone from the sound produced by the Lead ch. by itself.

Now if you dime both Tone and Volume on the LEAD ch and turn back the Tone of the BASS ch to 8, you will obtain a punchier midrange.
    [​IMG]

roblovesolives likes this.
  8. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Member

I've been surprised at how nice the cleans are on this amp, especially the bass channel. The bass channel has such a nice warm clean that only borders on breakup until 6 or 7.

The lead channel is a little bright but very punchy and cutting.

It definitely has that older Marshall sound. The overdrive sounds a bit more like the bigger Marshalls than the 1974X. The 1974X has more grind distortion wise but IMO this amp sounds like it has more balls. A bigger low end and more aggressive.

I'm still learning how the channels interact. It seems like tone becomes "sharper" when the tone and volume are increased on the unused channel?

9. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I only sold mine to buy the parts to finish building a jtm50. The gap between the 2 was smaller than you might think. The only "downside" is that I'm now hooked on 4 hole Marshalls.

10. schwa

schwa Member

The 2061x is my favoriite Marshall - lots of good advice so far.

I run mine with OS Mullards, I think it makes a difference in the sound. Hopefully with longevity.

I have to attenuate mine most of the time even when playing with others.

When it comes to settings, I can't find a bad one. With just the 4 knobs, it not hard to find a good sound.

I bridge the low input lead to the high input bass.

The amp sounds great cranked but seems to top out around "AC/DC" gain wise. It loves boosts - my favorite is a Treble Booster (beano), but have had good results with a Timmy, FD2, still auditioning the EP booster.

11. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

The closest thing to a caveat that I can think of is they tend to go through power tubes faster than most amps because of how hard they push them. Always keep spare el84's on hand!

12. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Member

Can you guys recommend some good EL84s for this amp?