1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marshall 2203 or 2204?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StevenS, Aug 11, 2005.

1. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

I'm looking to get an early 80's vertical input JCM800. I've got some nice choices of either the 50 watt(2204) or the 100 watt(2203). Neither will be put to any real huge test of volume. They will basically be home players that get cranked up when the wife and kids are gone. I'm leaning toward the 2204 because of the slightly less volume, but do some of you prefer the 2203 or is one just a louder version of the other?

2. mude

mude Supporting Member

I think I would lean towards the 2203. There is not all that much volume difference between 50 and 100 watts and it sounds a bit bigger IMO. That being said, while I have played both quite a bit, I have not had them sitting next to each other under the same conditions, etc. Also could be tube differences, etc.

Good solid amps that sure sound like Marshalls. Enjoy.

Evan.

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

for the thread starters situation id say neither.

get yourself a cornford 6 watt harlequin, will do all you need and 500% more.

as mentioned, there aint a sheeiyit load of difference in vol between 2203 and 2204 , bear in mind they both sound like arse until the power tubes really kick in and that means VOLUME AND LOTS OF IT , too much for home .......only if your neighbours live 200 metres down the road.

both great amps, but for home usage......id say no.

chip in here again john

jimmy

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

OK ;)

I don't agree.

If you want that big, crunchy Marshall JCM800 tone you do not want a small single-ended amp with low preamp gain and no MV - they're totally different.

You want a MV Marshall - although I agree that they don't sound their best at very low volume, they don't need to be up that far to sound good, certainly not unusably loud at home. Better louder, yes. But not really bad until they get down to the sort of level where a low-watt amp isn't being pushed either, and then won't have anything like the preamp gain and tone to get that sound.

An attenuator might be an advantage if you need to play fairly quietly, but probably isn't essential unless you want bedroom volume.

5. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

attenuator................i hate those things, what about a peavey classic 20 or 30 for his need ?

6. StevenS

Actually my neighbors do live 200 meters down the road. One of the benefits of living in the sticks.:D
    Thanks for the input guys.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd go with the 50w. I had a very early 100w in excellent shape, but I had to have it so loud to be warm that it was literally painful (compared to my 100w 71 SLP it was significantly louder). My 50w is still plenty loud to gig, but much more manageable at home.

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

If you want an early 80's one, buy it fast as they seem to have been going up like many other old Marshalls.

No question that either will be loud enough for most anything.

Evan.

9. StevenS

No question that this stuff is going up in price!. I was keeping an eye on a $450 1973 20W Marshall head on E-bay when all of a sudden it was gone. Buy it now went for $1150 US I believe. You snooze you lose...sigh.

10. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Well, the 2004 is one louder, innit?

11. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

It's actually 3 (db) softer.:D

I have a 2204 head and it is unusable in my home and I can crank it all I want. The only times I get to use it is at studio rehersals when I don't feel like hearing the rest of the guys in the band!

I am saving mine for the "Big Gig", whenever that comes, until then I use my Dr Z's.

12. big hair

big hair Member

There isn't much difference in volume between 2203 & 2204, the 2203 has slightly more headroom and will sound "bigger".

I have a 2204 and I like it because it overdrives at quite a low volume and sounds slightly "toppier" which I seem to prefer these days.