1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Marshall 2203 vs .....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by analogsystem, May 18, 2011.

1. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

I've done some searches but I'd like to know if anybody who's real familiar with Marshall 2203s can help me out.

My situation is that I have an early 80s 2203 (JCM800) and I LOVE it. I used it in a metal band with a tubescreamer into the hi input for years before I even discovered the magic of the low input.

The last 4 years or so I've been playing in a VERY LOUD band and using much much more classic rock tones. I run a bunch of OD / fuzz / boost pedals into the LOW input on my 2203 and am basically in tonal nirvana. I love this amp.
    The reason I love it is its loud as hell and has TONS of headroom on the low input. I have the preamp on 10 and the master between 7 and 8. The direct signal is pretty damn clean, even with humbuckers....just a bit of grit. The best part is that when I step on pedals for leads (I like rude solos) there's a huge volume increase! I love it.

So anyway now I'm playing in 2 bands that practice across town from one another. The new band is playing grind / metal stuff so my 2203 went over there to be used with the hi gain input since that is a classic great tone of course.

Now....I need something for my classic rock stuff with comparable headroom and volume to the low input of my 2203. Would a 1987 or super lead / super bass circuit do this?

I'd really just like the cleanish cranked tone with tons and tons of headroom. I hate it when the bass notes are mushy, even with a big muff. I'd don't really want another 2203 because...well, I just want to try another flavor. So are the 4 input marshalls going to have enough headroom for me or will they break up too much??

Thanks!!

2. V-man

V-man Member

If volume isn't an issue, the JCM800 1992 Superbass (non master volume amp) would do the trick exactly as you are describing

3. Miracle Man

Miracle Man Member

No no no! The JCM800 era "superbass" amp is a very different beast, much better suited for bass guitars than the prevous models. You mean the JMP era 1992 SuperBass, before they changed to the JCM cosmetics :aok

4. V-man

V-man Member

No, no no... I DO mean the JCM 800 era "Super Bass" amp, which is a very different beast from the previous Super Bass examples. Now the previous examples MM means are fine suggestions as well, but owning a JCM 800 model myself, I can tell you the sound is uncorruptable until after 8 on the nonmaster, and from 8-10 the best gain you can get is "AC/DC" without using pedals to drive it. If volume is not the issue, it is pure "plug and play" classic rock.

5. el34power

el34power Member

I use a Tube zone In the low input, with a V3 OCD as a solo boost, both at 18v. Amazing tone.
    An OCD in the Low input should give you some nice classic tones.. Will not cure GAS but...

6. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Hey Analogsystem...

I don't know how you can gig anywhere with an amp that loud. Hats off to you!! I have no doubt that at these volumes you are getting the best these amps have to offer. Rock on!!

7. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Love my 1987X with either Lar/Mar PPIMV mod, or Alex Attenuator. I've sold all my MV amps.
    The 1987X with stock bright cap will get you tons of distortion.
    Without the cap it stays clean way longer and is more Plexi toned.

8. Miracle Man

Miracle Man Member

My bad :facepalm :aok