Marshall 2204/JCM800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ezcomes, Dec 28, 2016.

1. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

hey all

Been jonesin for a new amp..was thinking a 50W marshall...i have an 18W that does the plexi thing, but looking for more modern...

I havent found a 'sound' comparison except for this amp (jcm800) being 'a bit gainier/tighter' than a 1987

I'm not a big pedal guy, but i want something close to Alice in chains or shnedown type crunch...but, also able to clean up with a guitar volume change

They dont make them anymore, and i dont know anyone with one to try out...so...its a jump in kinda thing...so...i ask you...

what CAN it do?
    song references would help...

2. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

Jump!
    The water is fine.

It sounds like every cool guitar riff from 1980-2000

Get a PPMIV installed by a competent tech when you change tube and re-bias.

3. schwa

schwa Member

Can't help you with song references, but they were very common (perhaps most common) from the late '70's through the '90's.

I personally think they're among the best amp values on the market today - $1000 (plus or minus) gets you an amp with an iconic sound that's built to a quality level that few can match (at that price point) today. If it breaks, it's easily repaired (no IC's or circuit boards (except the main one)). If you buy one and don't like it, you'll probably get every dollar back when you sell it. They also made a ton of them, so they're not hard to find.

The main down side for me is that they're loud. Pant flappin', shaking the pictures on the wall loud. I don't play many places these days that let me turn up, so my 2204 doesn't get out as much as I'd like.

RussB and Tommy Biggs like this.
  4. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

My suggestion would be to buy a DSL.

I prefer the 2001 or newer JCM 2000 DSLs.

Easily gets JCM 800 with much lower volume if needed (can get loud as heck too).

therealjoeblow and Rick Lee like this.
  5. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

They are awesome, classic amps. killer old school rock machines but you won't get the heaviness of the bands you mentioned with one unless you boost with a pedal. They aren't as gainy as you might think. I've owned a few jmp-800 eras with both high and low voltage

That being said- there is a 1981 2204 with the bfg snorkeler mod on reverb right now. That's the mod bogner did to the 2204 jerry Cantrell used on facelift and maybe dirt too. Perfect if your looking for AIC tones (and a 2204)

6. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

I enjoy a 1987 amp, it kicks ---
    The jcm800 is great, listen to both and decide, unless you absolutely are fixed on the 800.

Hacksaw likes this.
  7. DiNiro

DiNiro Member

They are really loud. Worth having even if you end up having to re sell it down the road. Hard to lose much money on them, but depending on your situation it might not be a suitable amp. At lower volumes they're not really worth playing. If you can crank em up they're terrific!
    I have a 50w 2205 that never gets beyond 3 or 4. I much prefer using the 18w because you can really use the full range of the amp. Since you have that base covered already, why not give the 2204 a shot if you can find a reasonable deal on one?

8. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

A PPIMV in a 2204 ?!?!

RussB, Bush, Tommy Biggs and 3 others like this.
  9. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Great amps that do reasonable band volumes better than most seem to think (through a pair of Greenies or 12-65's) My 4104 combo (2204 in 2x12 format)is used for a party/corporate band with soundguy and it works perfect.

Not sure i would call them modern, or AIC like. My 79,80 and 82 2203 do 70's classic rock really,really well and nail the late 70's / early 80's hard rock sound. Add a boost for 80's metal, but that's about as modern as it gets without mods. Lots of other fine amps for a more modern sound.

wntbtw likes this.
  10. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Amazing amps...great cleans and can do a lot. The type of tubes in them has a great deal to do with their sound. I had 6550's, which a lot of folks didn't care for...but I thought they were bad ass. Great rumble to them. They are loud...and that is one of the reasons I got rid of it. Most gigs I had it on 2...and it just can't breath all the way down there.

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Neither of those models stock will do the level of gain I associate with Jerry Cantrell's sound in AIC. They both get good 'n crunchy but think of old Aerosmith, James Gang, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner, Scorpions, AC/DC, that kind of classic rock sound...

BADHAK, Echoplexi and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

FWIW I was a hardcore 2204 guy for many many years. That changed when I got a Friedman Dirty Shirley. Does the work of a good old master volume Marshall but is more flexible and user friendly.

13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I would think the right JCM900 would get closer to AIC than an 800. The 800 works for me, but I agree that it might not get you all the way to Jerry cantrell. I never really down tune much though.
    When I need that extra a rat in front of my 800 gets me there.

One more point for the OP - you should call around to the local rehearsal places, see if any have nicer examples of some of these amps. Rent an hour and go in and check em out. You won't be able to walk in and book peak hours, but if you can be a little flexible you might get to try some things you like at volume.
    I've been fortunate, off the top of my head I've played a nice 900, a suberb JCM800, a beat up old JVM, a BF Bassman, some twins, a modded 5150 at local places over the last 10 years or so. I'm not talking booteek rehearsal studios either.

Geeze and BADHAK like this.
  14. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

That is an excellent idea...theres only one in town, so doubtful, but worth a try

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. Blue Marvel

Blue Marvel Member

BADHAK likes this.
  16. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

A stock 800 won't quite get AIC on its own, you would need something to boost it. As much as I hate to chop up an amp, the 800 is a great platform to mod into a fire breathing beast.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  17. ungarn

ungarn Member

Definitely need pedals to push a JCM800 into AIC territory.
    Could likely get 90% there with an 18 watt Marshall and a great pedal like Freidman BD-OD, Bogner Red, Wampler Pinnacle, Amptweaker Fat Rock, etc.
    My 50 watt JCM800 definitely needs an attenuator to use at home also...loud friggin' beast...but definitely has that KERRANG!!!!!

misterdontmove and Tommy Biggs like this.
  18. guitargeek6298

guitargeek6298 Member

Even a 2204 can benefit from a PPIMV.

The Mod 5 circuit has a PPIMV, and is a key part of its sound, and it's basically a 2203/2204 with a rebiased first gain stage, lower filtering, and a few other tweaks. The PPIMV is what gets it that crunchy brown sound though.

19. neteraser

neteraser Member

Well, don't bother with the 2204. Get a 2203. 100 watts. Marshall == 100 watts or JTM45.

20. kustombob

kustombob Member

Just get the Silver Jubelee' it does the 800 and more. Plus effects loop ect.

DiPa likes this.