1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Marshall 2204 Pre PI MV to Post PI

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JammyDodger, May 19, 2011.

1. JammyDodger

JammyDodger Silver Supporting Member

Hey All,

Is it worthwhile changing the pre P.I. Master Volume on my Marshall 2204 to a Post P.I.? This is a simple change but I was wondering if there would be enough tonal difference to make it worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Mike

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Only if you use a Lar-Mar style of master.A type 1 master works too but the Lar-Mar is the best in a Marshall amp IMHO.To make it totally reverseable,install the pot in the extra speaker jack on the rear.
    I don't think you will do back flips either way.

3. big mike

big mike House Plexi Staff Member

Leave the stock one and add the Lar/Mar.

They won't counter act each other, and the Lar/Mar is transparent when dimed.

4. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

IMO, just doing the PPIMV for those amps does not leave you with a good balance. The lo gain input is still too low and the hi gain too high.

My personal main amp is a 4104, the 2x12 combo version. Mine has a PPIMV, but also the front end rewired so that the lo gain channel emulates a normal Marshall input and the Hi is just a bit of boost over that.

5. LowellH

LowellH Member

PPIMV won't hurt anything but IMO is not necessary on these amps unless you also change the preamp circuitry as Ronsonic suggests.