Marshall 35th anniversary 50w head info

hotmod

I got one in my house as a loaner from a friend that considers selling it and i'm thinking about it. Problem is it doesn't have much of a clean sound as it starts to break up from 1 and the bright channel is too...well bright!
So i need info on whether these issues can be tamed by changing tubes and/or altering something inside it.
Is this circuit the same as with the current production 1987x? How close it is to an original plexi or even early metal panel Marshall?
Only head i have played from the reissues lately,other than this one ,is the 1959hw which i found much warmer sounding and with a lot less drive, more organic sounding and it started to break up at 6-7 on the volume dial.
The anniversary is powered by three sovtek 12ax7lps's and two ruby el34's and i never thought much about any of them other than they light up and send a signal with an average sound, but i could be wrong.
Any opinions???

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
First off, it IS just a 1997 Plexi 1987 reissue-same box, same circuit, same tubes, just different tolex and metal handles. So value-wise it hasn't stood up all that well (figure a few dollars extra for the white tolex). The speakers are reported to be G12T-75s, which are not at all vintage sounding.

What you're describing, though-no clean tone is not right. It should stay cleanish until it's very loud. The bright channel CAN be very bright, but that's often solved with "clipping the bright cap". However the T75 speakers and likely the tubes aren't helping that. it is fixable if you get it for the right price, but I'd want to do a lot to it before I'd be happy!

hotmod

First off, it IS just a 1997 Plexi 1987 reissue-same box, same circuit, same tubes, just different tolex and metal handles. So value-wise it hasn't stood up all that well (figure a few dollars extra for the white tolex). The speakers are reported to be G12T-75s, which are not at all vintage sounding.

What you're describing, though-no clean tone is not right. It should stay cleanish until it's very loud. The bright channel CAN be very bright, but that's often solved with "clipping the bright cap". However the T75 speakers and likely the tubes aren't helping that. it is fixable if you get it for the right price, but I'd want to do a lot to it before I'd be happy!
Thanks for the reply , although i use it with a 2x12 cab loaded with creamback 65's and its 4x12 ,that i don't have here at the moment,is loaded with greenbacks 25's , far as i know.
Anyway , what do you recommend to do if the price is right?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The specs on all the sites still listed state that it should come with G12T75s so if that cab has M25s it's been modded. It's a great mod, but it's not a collector any more, so you've got that going for you! The cab is worth maybe $400-500 depending on condition. The head about $900-1000 on Ebay. So, Ebay prices would be in the $1500 range. I'd buy it for $1100-1200 myself....

hotmod

I have decided against it after all , but nowhere did i found any stated info about the cab being loaded with g12-75t's , everywhere i looked it was stated loaded with g12-25 greenbacks and i also found photos showing the inside of the cab that proved it.
Where have you found that info?

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Did you try running the master up and backing off on your guitar? You should be able to get a pretty fair amount of headroom out of that amp this way. I did that to mine and it sounded great.

hotmod

Did you try running the master up and backing off on your guitar? You should be able to get a pretty fair amount of headroom out of that amp this way. I did that to mine and it sounded great.
I did and it sounds good but it has to be to damn loud to get a decent sound out of it and i can't use it in the house. Also it is a bit cold sounding as opposed to a 1959hw. I would love to have a good Marshall head but where i live and with the amount of band practicing i see,which is close to none , let alone gigging or even studio work which is completely zero, i think it is a luxury to purchase sonething like that. Maybe if i owned a house would make sense to have one but again i think i would have search to find an old one.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
I have had a ton of old and recent Marshalls and I have found the Vintage Modern to fit everywhere from home to stage and it sounds/feels killer. Then there are the current prices running in the $700 range for the heads. It leaves me needing nothing more from a Marshall and it does it at very reasonable volumes.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I could be wrong, that's what I saw on a couple of sales sites, but who knows...

Trending Topics