Marshall 4104 JCM800 Head case

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by proUK, May 18, 2008.

1. proUK

proUK Member

I was digging out some gear today and found my old 82 JCM800 4104, which with the arrival of many amps hasn't been switched on for maybe 12-15 years. It has been serviced by Mike Hill in that time, he was the guy who designed the 800 series, and he suggested a small tweak, which i agreed to...... anyway, fired up today through a div/13 cab (dont like the open back Marshall sound) and it sounds killer. Thick and smooth.

I want to transfer the chassis into a headcase, so I can use this alongside my divided's and wanted to know if anybody had any thoughts of where i could get such a thing?? I believe the combo chassis is slightly smaller than the head version of same amp?

I am based in UK, but if i can find the product, am happy to order worldwide.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

I'm very curious, what are the specifics of the tweak?

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

I can't seem to find out anything about Mike Hill and the Marshall JCM 800. This is the first time I have heard of Mike Hill. Does anyone have any info. on him?

4. proUK

proUK Member

When Mike voiced the amp he used a Les Paul copy with pretty old strings, and so he suggested a quick tweak on the input to tame the top end a little. I cant remember exact details, but within my chassis, I can see where one component has been removed.
    I always found the top end a little brittle and thin, but this made it a lot more Tyler strat friendly.

Mike designed the 800 series and is a brilliant amp tech, and is the guy that most of the big artists use in the UK.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

It sounds like he removed the bright cap to me. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I suggest you check into MOJO for cabinets.

6. proUK

proUK Member

Mike became managing director of Marshall and then left to set-up his own business. He is a great guy, incredibly busy and works on amps and builds pedalboards.
    He seems to be the guy who checks out amps prior to recording/touring, so have been there when AC/DC's gear was all being checked, Clapton's, Gary Moore's etc
    His pedalboards are great, and he builds boards for bands like Coldplay...

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

Does he have a web site?

8. proUK

proUK Member

no, not as far as I know... Is all word of mouth

9. burner

burner Member

I'm tagging this thread because I've also had interest in converting my 4104 to a head only.

10. 6789

6789 Member

11. hamfist

hamfist Member

Speak to Jeff at Matamp (up north). They can make a you a very, very nice, Marshall head cab, whatever spec you like.

12. proUK

proUK Member

Cool, thanks very much for the advice