Marshall 4210 1x12 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Metalflange, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Metalflange

Metalflange Supporting Member

Found one for a song and a dance it's got channel switching. Anyone got any experience with one is this a good amp?

55 Jr likes this.
  2. nickelwound

nickelwound Supporting Member

I have the first version of the amp and like it. I don't seem to have the problem of the channels bleeding into each other.
    It does have to be cranked to sound it's best though. It's not an amp that is good for house,
    which is my dilemma to keep or
    not.
    My amp is stock and I just changed out the caps and tightened everything up. That
    really helps the clean channel and makes all the tone controls
    much more effective.
    IMO, the amp is great for rock tones and both channels sound nice. Keep the master up high
    and the preamps around noon on
    the boost channel just where you can hear the diodes kick in.
    The clean channel is great but is very bright. The reverb is very usable. It's not a Fender though, so don't expect that type
    of sound.
    It's a loud amp, if you can use it as it was built for then you might like it. I think split channels are good!

M

3. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I gigged one for many years.
    Great sounding amp but mine had reliability issues.
    It was in the shop a couple of times a year.

When it was working correctly it was an absolute tone monster but as nickelwound mentioned, needs to be loud to sound it's best.
    Low volume it's pretty thin sounding.
    Turn it up and it gets fat & raunchy.

4. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    The 4210 ['83] was my first Marshall and an awesome amp. I put it into a head as I find open back cabs meh. Mine gets used as a back up for a 2204 and mostly for conversational home volume into a 4x10 slant. First amp I've have that didn't need dirt pedals at any volume. With a bit of EQ I find it a very rich and satisfying as an can be amp that isn't blowing my 'hair' back. Hint - see avatar.

Russ

5. Metalflange

I love this amp it just has balls. Best thing is I traded a vox ac 30 cc1 combo for it I got the 1x12 and a 4x10 cab straight up what a steal!

HoboMan likes this.
  6. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    Sounds like a great deal! Rock on!

Russ

7. Metalflange

I can't believe this I haven't played Metallica in years but once I plugged in this Jcm 800 I started playing metal but I didn't know what song I was playing for about 40 seconds hen I realized it was master of puppets. I love this amp!

Tread likes this.
  8. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I have one right here under my desk in my office, entirely stock as far as I know.
    It doesn't get as much play as it used to but I still love it.

9. jlinde

jlinde Member

Yes those 2 channel 800 and the 900s are great sounding amps. For some reason they get frowned apon. Diode clipping this and that. Well your tubescreamer is going to diode clip your single channel jcm800 before the gain stage....I'd rather have the diode clipping AFTER the gain stage as in the 4210...and not have to carry a pedal with me everywhere the amp goes. I prefer the extra gain of the 4210. Not to mention the spring reverb and the clean channel. It's a no brainer for me...

10. saf_1

saf_1 Member

I am assuming we are talking the channel switching version of the JCM 800 4210 combo. I was in a band with a guitarist who had one, and it was pretty good sounding. As mentioned before it had some reliability issues. He had to sink some money into it. Didn't sound as good as my '82 4204 vertical input, single channel combo, though.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015