Marshall 4x12 cabs - ply or MDF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KazJY, Jan 29, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

I know that the 1936 cabs are MDF, but does anyone know what the Marshall 4x12's are made of? Thinking about a 1960 Vintage (V30s)

2. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Birch ply sheets all but the back panel which is MDF. Some of the trim boards are MDF as well.

3. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

That's it, except the odd bits are particleboard, not MDF.

4. KazJY

KazJY Member

Would I be better off with an Avatar Vintage 412? I didn't want to spend more than the Marshall would cost (THD or Bogner, though I'd love to)

5. 908SSP

908SSP Member

There is nothing wrong with a current Marshall cab if treated properly. Some people like the MDF back better than the ply so that's up to you. But they aren't up to really harsh treatment like some of the premium cabs. Funny thing is the more someone pays for a cab the easier they treat it. As far as sound they sound like they sound neither better nor worse just different.

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

Putting the right speakers into the ab will probably have more of an impact on your tone than the birch ply / mdf trade-off. If you like V30's (I do as well, although many here do not), I would expect you to be happy with the results regardless of the wood.