Marshall 4x12 redo...dry joints!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by andysjunkymusic, Feb 29, 2012.

1. andysjunkymusic

andysjunkymusic Member

Okay, so I've got one of my 1960B cabs ripped apart for a redo but, while removing the last little bits of tolex I found that of the joints on the bottom is very dry and almost seems like the glue is starting to let free. Anyone got any tips for fixing this? I'd hate to get them all done and have the cab break!

Thanks in advance!

2. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

3. andysjunkymusic

andysjunkymusic Member

I mean, I figured as much. I guess what I really want to know is whats the best way to go about it?

The joint hasn't come completely unglued...I'd rather just take care of it now before it gets any worse.

I know you can get "glue syringes"...maybe just try getting one and injecting some glue where I can in the joint?

4. Structo

Structo Member

Not sure exactly which joint it is but the usual procedure is to see if there
    is any flex in the joint and if so you need to apply the glue the clamp the joint closed.

But if nothing seems loose then I would just run a healthy bead of Titebond original wood glue into the crack and let it dry for at least 24 hours without moving the cab.
    Hopefully it is some place dry and warm?

5. andysjunkymusic

andysjunkymusic Member

I'm working on it in my house so yes, dry and warm.

I'll have to take a closer look at it and see how much flex there is...maybe give the Titebond a try.

Thanks!

6. alivegy

alivegy Member

I just sent my 4010 combo off to have a similar repair. The glue had deteriorated letting the cabinet have a slight left to right wobble accompanied by a creaking sound. The guy who fixed it for me said that he took a rubber mallet and beat the cabinet apart and then glued it back together from scratch to ensure it didn't come apart again.

7. B Money

B Money Member

you might use a small drill bit to drill small holes into the problem areas, and then use a thin wood glue and syringe and inject it into the holes. I'd try that if it wasn't in too bad of shape and I didn't want to completely disassemble the cabinet.

8. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

9. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

Insert wooden dowels before you glue up....;)