Marshall 4x12 slant cab recover 101

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scumback Speakers, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Curtd1

Curtd1 Member

This thread is just what I'm looking for in guidance on my Marshall recover project. Is there any way to restore the pictures that went along with the great tutorial? I know the thread is old but what a treasure.......
    Thanks,
    -Curt
    :munch

2. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

3. DavePilk74

DavePilk74 Member

I was wandering if anyone had any tips for doing the angle part on an angle cab. I always end up with creases here, the pic below doesnt show it very well, but they are there. Marshall always seem to get this perfect but how do they do it? Ive seen some people cut the tolex here, but I dont want to do that. :huh

[​IMG]

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Your only other option is streching the Tolex slightly.

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You actually can do it both ways, BUT you don't stretch the tolex, you shrink it with a heat gun (hair dryer, etc), or you cut it. Personally cutting it is the way I do it for two reasons.

1) You can cut the tolex, lay one side on top of the other, then cut through both layers with a sharp razor blade and create a seam that's very hard to see if you cut it straight/right..

2) When you cut it this way it allows for adjustment if there's a problem or issue with the wood underneath.

When you use the heat you can burn the tolex/shrink it too much and make it thin enough so it splits later.

Solitaire, if you're going to post on this thread, try to have real world experience with what you're posting on before you do so...especially if it's a thread I've started, OK? I realize you're trying to help, but you could have steered this TGP member the wrong way and screwed up his cab.

6. BillB1960

BillB1960 Member

Is there any way that the pictures from the beginning of the thread which were hosted on the southbay ampworks site could be re-posted from another domain?

7. Scumback Speakers

They could when I have the time. Due to a rather large sales volume increase, I'm already working 7 am to 7 pm straight through just to keep up with incoming orders. That doesn't leave a lot of time to repost pics on old threads, and do all the editing/checking to make sure they work. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to it, to be quite honest. Sorry.

8. BillB1960

BillB1960 Member

Fair enough, appreciate the honesty. Increased sales is a good problem to have!;)

9. DavePilk74

DavePilk74 Member

Thanks for the help guys, I thought it might involve heating it with a hair dryer. I want to avoid cutting it there if possible. Im aiming for period correctness/marshall correctness.

I had thought I was stretching it too much and that was causing the creases. I dont normally heat it, but will try it in future.

10. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

I have to agree w/Jim...cutting it would be the way to go. Using heat and/or stretching, if not done correctly, may result a botched job. I have seen M cabs (slant) with the cut from the factory.

11. Curtd1

Curtd1 Member

Just wondering.......

Did anyone save the pics for this tutorial?

I've printed out all of these expertly guided instructions that the original guy created, but I could really use the pics if they're available somewhere. I have 2 Marshall head and 2 stacks I want to recover with Tolex and have seen some other projects that were done using these same instructions & techniques and the results were amazing!

I'm ready to start my project and have already purchased all of the parts and Tolex I need to do the work. I've studied the process through the reading part, but man the pics would make it all come together!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    Curt......

12. cheetah77

cheetah77 Member

I could use the pics as well.

13. BEMUSofNrthAmrca

BEMUSofNrthAmrca Senior Member

We need the pictures back up in this thread. This is the best retolex tutorial on the net and now the pictures are gone. SHHEEEEESH. GET THEM UP.

14. BEMUSofNrthAmrca

BEMUSofNrthAmrca Senior Member

This whole thread should be archived.

15. Scumback Speakers

I have restored the pics in this thread as of 4/24/12. Enjoy!

Rockinrob86 likes this.
  16. prs1999

prs1999 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks Jim...mucho appreciated !!!

17. Curtd1

Curtd1 Member

EXCELLENT job restoring the pics!

Thank you sir, for your help!

I've been able to find most of the replacement cabinet parts I need, but does anyone know where I can get replacement cabinet handles, speakers, jacks and wire that is like the Marshall type?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!
    Curt....

18. Scumback Speakers

You are welcome. I have some of the cab parts you're looking for as well (vintage/vintage repro spec), shoot me an email with a list of what you're looking for.

19. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I used Jim's tutorial on several Marshall cabs, most recently here on my JCM800 A cab recover (that's a Metro JTM45 clone on top). I mod'd the old cab a little (gold string top/bottom, choice of grille cloth, and 1970 G12M's). I got the handles you see here from Jim. Most excellent repros. The cab that I got the Greenbacks from had metal handles, but too beat for my resto - Jim's are exactly like the originals in that cab.

[​IMG]

20. Curtd1

Curtd1 Member

Lakehaus,
    This is an incredible restoration!
    Beautiful work......