Marshall 4x12 slant cab recover 101

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scumback Speakers, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Sly

Sly Member

Hi everyone,

I recovered my JCM800 Marshall with a new grill cloth and it wasn’t so difficult .
    To removed the staples buy a good heavy duty staple remover (it cost 5-10 $) it will save you lots of time, i begin with a knife and it was long but when i bough a staple remover it take 5 minutes and the staple were removed.

I have bought my grill cloth online in Canada here for 25 $ here :
    http://www.steamcomusic.com/catalog/...-black-jute-36

Take your time buy a good hand held stapler, begin in a corner of one side, do the other corner.

Stretch it a as much as you can than do it on the other side, finish with the top and the bottom always begin with the corner then when the grill cloth is done on 2 all 4 corners do all the staples between the corners.

It should take you about 45-60 minutes if you take your time to do it properly (and like myself you never do that before).

I’m really happy with the result as it looks like a brand new.
    I didn’t changed the tolex as i covered it with a permanent marker and it did a good job. I cleaned it with armor all and it work like a charm, let it work for 4-5 minutes then clean it and all the dust will removed form the tolex.

Anyway in the end you will just have to solder the 2 speaker wires and it will work good.

And you will feel like you have a new Marshall !

Keep on Rockin !

Sly

2. Oatie

Oatie Member

I agree, don't recover this cab. The Tolex is the 1973 era greenish tint type, and it's one of the first ported cabs Marshall made. It's a rare cab, if anything I would replace the cloth, but thats it. If it was mine I would leave the cloth as-is, do you have the back panel for it?

3. Gitarrenschotti

Gitarrenschotti Member

Hey there I'm a new member and I'd like to say thank you very much for this thread. I bought a Marshall JCM 900 for about $100 and worked hard on it : ).
    Now that's the result...

What you guys think?

Form this
    /Users/saschabreithaupt/Desktop/IMG_0485.JPG

to
    /Users/saschabreithaupt/Desktop/IMG_0819.jpg

and that
    /Users/saschabreithaupt/Desktop/IMG_0818.JPG

4. DrewB

DrewB Member

Sorry if I missed it, but how about the back corners? The flat back with the roundover against it is giving me fits. The rounded-over front corners are a lot easier, thanks to this tutorial, but it doesn't work too great for the back corners.

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'm sorry, but I lost the pics that showed how to do this in a hard disk crash about 4-5 years back. I just looked all over my computer, but no luck.

6. Warriorsoulm4

Warriorsoulm4 Member

Hi, I have to repeat what's already been said, this is an awesome thread, I just acquired a 1960B cabinet that was completely stripped of the tolex, and somewhat sanded, I've stripped it down and am ready to start the restore, and at the risk of sounding stupid, should I fill the chips and gouges in with filler before I sand it down, or give it an initial sanding, fill and repeat? Thanks in advance

7. Scumback Speakers

Clean out the chips/dings, then fill with filler, let dry, sand and repeat.

8. DrewB

DrewB Member

Thanks for looking, Jim! If you're doing a recover and happen to remember, could you take a few pics of your back-corner technique? I'd be much obliged.

9. Scumback Speakers

I haven't recovered a cab in years now, and have no plans to, sorry.

10. Warriorsoulm4

Warriorsoulm4 Member

Thanks for sharing your know-how, one more question, if you could, how do you re-attach the piping, would a standard staple gun work, or will those be too big.
    Thanks again.

11. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I was just thinking about this thread yesterday as I looked at my Marshall 1936 style Mojotone 2X12. I need to redo it. Now I can book mark this thread and hopefully it'll come out decent.

12. Scumback Speakers

I used a Stanley Sharpshooter Stapler, available at Home Depot. Later I got an electric Black and Decker model...a lot faster, and easier on the hands.

3/8" wide staples, 7/16" deep.

13. Papa Coochie

Papa Coochie Member

Thread Resurrection:

Let me start off by saying this has been a great thread and a lot of help for us do it yourselfers. I've tried to read every page many times and still come up short on how much of the water based tolex glue one needs to purchase for a 4x12 cabinet.

I'm redoing an 85 JCM800 1960B cabinet and am almost finished with the sanding phase. I have all of my list of material ready for ordering including metal handles from Scumback. How much glue have you guys had to go through in order to complete your cabs?
    Someone has to have this answer. Thanks in advance.

14. Scumback Speakers

One quart of water based contact adhesive is more than enough for one cab. You can get this from tubesandmore.com if you need to order a quart. They call it tolex glue.

15. Papa Coochie

Papa Coochie Member

Many Thanks!!!!!

I'm ready to Rock N Roll on this project now.

16. Scumback Speakers

17. Papa Coochie

Papa Coochie Member

Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  18. juniorhifikit

juniorhifikit Member

So glad I found this thread! I just picked up a late '70's slant cab that needs a little TLC. Someone sprayed an upside-down pentagram on the small-check grill cloth, and removed the piping. Does anyone know a way to remove the paint? I really like this cloth specifically, and haven't found replacement small-check anywhere, so I'm inclined to try to clean it off. Any suggestions? Roller-on some paint stripper?

If I can't clean it, or ruin it in the process, I'll probably replace it with the large-check that's available. Does anyone have a picture of new (Mojotone) large-check vs original (vintage)?

Thanks!

** EDIT - just found pic's from Scumback - apparently Mojotone isn't as close as Marshall replacement large check**
    http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/jimspics/checkcloth2.jpg
    http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/jimspics/checkcloth1.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  19. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

flip it over, otherside.

20. juniorhifikit

juniorhifikit Member

Unfortunately, it leaked through to the other side, plus they spray painted the other side grey/silver - so that side is worse.