Marshall 50w 1972 - advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JoeG, Feb 8, 2008.

1. JoeG

JoeG Member

I´ve been recommenden a Marshall 50w head from 1972 that´s for sale in a music store! I don´t have much experience old Marshalls so here´s some questions.:confused:
    How do you think a would it match with a 2x12 1936 cab with 2 creambacks?
    What about the volume and sound - would I get a nice fat rock crunch without getting getting (more) tinnitus :jo?
    If I use an attunator, does it affect the sound much?
    Does the amp clean up well while using the volume opt on the guitar?

So if you have any comments - please let me know?

Thanks!
    //J

2. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

A '72 head would be a hand-wired, 4-hole, non-master volume, Lead head. 100W amps were called "Super Leads", 50W amps were called "Leads". (Well, the other possibility is that its Bass head; I'll assume it isn't.) The amp is a metal panel head, direct descendant of the EL34 plexi heads. Absolutely killer, classic amp, assuming that it hasn't had some kind of ill-advised mod. Very much like a plexi IMO, but more aggressive gain-wise and a bit brighter.

That cabinet would be a terrific match!

It'll definitely get a nice fat rock crunch, but it'll be loud as heck. Unfortunately that's the way you get to the good stuff with these heads. Yes, it will clean up very, very nicely using the guitar volume (once again assuming nobody's modified the amp).

An attenuator will affect the tone. Some more than others, and the more you attenuate the worse the tonal loss. I use a Trainwreck Airbrake with my '76 Marshall 50W (NMV). It takes it from "#$*&# LOUD" to just "loud", without too much loss in tone. Beyond that, the tone degradation gets progressively worse. Short of putting a master volume or something in it (which I would strongly discourage), it is not a "bedroom amp".

D7

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

A 50 watt is just that, not really a "Lead" labeled amp. Usually there is a model number to go with it to designate what style it is, 1987 is guitar model, 1986 is bass model, etc. The 100w amps in that period were all called "Super"something, and had names to designate what they were intended for. As in Super Lead, Super Bass, Super Organ, Super PA, or Super Tremolo.

Early 70s amps are great finds. Usually you get plexi era like quality and tone, for a bit less money because of the metal panel. It will be a loud amp, and attenuation does severely affect the tone of the amp.

Should sound great with the two creambacks, but that is really about the absolute minimum speakers for that amp. It does have the potential to blow a pair of creambacks. The speakers are 25w each, meaning 50w a pair. Essentially, a 50w head will be 50 watts before distortion. After distortion there is much more power, over 100 watts.

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

that's my grail marshall. My jealousies extended.

5. Glide

Glide Member

Yeah me too - I bet its a beauty - have any photos of it?

6. 4styx

4styx Member

A great investment,buy it!

7. kanderson

kanderson Member

So true. Loud is an understatement but yeah...that's the goods right there. That cab is a great match. Not a "bedroom amp" is right on. :D
    Worth the investment for sure!

8. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

About 15 years ago, I had a friend with a 1972 50 Watt Marshall head. It was truly the best sounding amp I've ever heard up close (and played!). He almost sold it to me... but then he came to his senses.

Enjoy the amp! I hope you have somewhere to crank it.

- jeff -

9. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

The early 70's 50 watters are some of my favorites. I have a 71' smallbox that I've had for a long long time and it gets used for recording all the time. They're a bit more aggressive than a plexi and are really ballsy amps even when run more clean.

I would suggest just going for a 16 ohm 4x12 if possible. To me that is what these amps are supposed to sound like. I experimented with many different 2x12's and speaker combinations to try to get something that even approached the classic "Marshall sound" and just couldn't find it in anything. There's just something right about a 16 ohm cab with 4 speakers that is the magic combination with a Marshall head. And while it moves more air and thumps way harder, it really isn't any louder. My 30 watt D13's seem every bit as loud as my 50 watt/ 4x12 basketweave rig.

No sense having a Ferrari if you're just going to drive it at 25 on the side streets :dude

10. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Just buy it. If it hasn't been modded it's a great amp and you will figure out the answers to all your questions when you get it. Old Marshalls are magical that way!

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

So...where is this amp at?:Devil:D

12. burner

burner Member

That's what I think....

EDIT:
    BTW, I used to have a '72 100w model and I kick myself in the azz every day for letting it go.
    Buy it!!!!!

13. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If it's to loud you could always sell it here. Trust me, someone would buy it.

14. samtheman

samtheman Member

Is it look a like this:

[​IMG]

15. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

That cab doesnt look right for a 70's Marshall. The radius on the corners around the face plate, and its a flat lipped design as well.

16. JoeG

JoeG Member

Thanks everyone for great info:AOK! After reading your posts i´ll definitly check it out...!!! The amp looks the same as the photo but much more "used".....They say it´s not modified but the ohm selector is blocked at 8 ohm?! What do you think about that?

I´m sure it will be loud, but do you think it will work at our bandrehearsals and at gigs and smaller clubs.

If I can´t crank - would it sound good with a OCD in front of it?

I tried a Germino Lead 55 some years ago which sounded awesome but was really loud! Do they sound similar?

//J

17. burner

burner Member

They sound great but are loud.
    An attenuator is definitely something to consider.Of course it won't sound the same but it won't be bad either....especially with a good attenuator.
    I don't see how an OCD would be bad in any way....I'm looking into one of those myself.

18. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Very similar and probably louder!

I own a 71 50 watter and a Germino Club 40..

19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, my '71 is louder than the Lead 55 was.

20. 908SSP

908SSP Member

You're right. 72s are large box, almost square corners, and round lip. Great sounding amp I have one.:dude