?? Marshall 50w 67 plexi small box ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rbt, May 12, 2005.

1. rbt

rbt Member

Hi guys can someone what these go for these days, all original and in good shape. Thanks

2. rbt

rbt Member

I meant can someone tell me

3. loverocker

loverocker Member

Here in the Marshall Country (England!): somewhere between 1500 and 2000GBP (up to $3800) in very good all-original condition.

4. KLB

KLB Member

If you are a buyer, and the price discourages you, the Germino Club 40 is a VERY similar amp for well less than $2K.

5. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

Here's what your up against. There are very few that come up
    for sale stateside. You will usually find them coming out of the
    UK and it can be a bit risky. There is a '69 currently being
    offered right here on The Gear Page Emporium and they state
    that the amp is all original, but when you review the photos
    you will find that there are some non stock modifications. He is
    asking 2K for the amp. I've seen good ones sell for almost twice that price.

Also, the one to really look for is the 1968 small box. This was
    the magic year for the small box plexi. I won't get into the tech
    details but trust me, the '68 is the holy grail of the JMP Plexi's.
    You would be best off trying the tried and true resellers and
    restorers of these amps. Places like Plexi Palace etc.....
    I would not buy one of these over the internet and would only
    buy from overseas if the dealer has a rock solid reputation.
    I'm sure there are many people on this forum that can direct
    you to reputable sellers.

You should expect to pay anywhere from the mid to high 3s
    for a good one.

Hope this helpful to you.

6. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

what about a good Marshall Super bass head? can you tell about a good dealer where to get a nice one at a nice price?:D

7. fifty9 335

fifty9 335 Member

good luck finding anything less than 5K.....
    fantastic amp though

8. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

The Germino Club 40 was mentioned as a good alternative; however, I think the Lead 55 is even closer - the techies can correct if I'm wrong. Whatever the case, my lead 55 was compared head-to-head with a very nice '68 plexi at the last NYC tonefest and EVERYONE there thought they sounded exactly the same. I would seriously consider going for the Germino - it's new, and Greg will stand behind the amp 100%. Not the same situation with an old '68.

Good luck, and have fun!

Steve

9. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have a 67 JTM 50, I wouldnt think of letting it go for under 5k, because it takes forever to find one for sale, and by the time you do, the price has gone up. I have had mine for several years, and have seen only a few here and there.

I find that 67 is my favorite year for Marshalls, the super lead is a monstrous amount of tone.

10. rbt

rbt Member

Great thank you for your replies, so I guess $1500 is a good deal. It just had the bulgen plug thingy changed. My buddy is letting her go.

11. fifty9 335

fifty9 335 Member

That helps...they ended sometime in 67..when it went to ss

12. fifty9 335

fifty9 335 Member

1500 is not a good deal its a GREAT DEAL!!! Congrats:)
    Its also a great amp if its up to snuff....

13. rbt

rbt Member

Okay got the amp. I'm sus about the OT it is black no chrome (replacement?) It looks old.. same screws etc.. laydowm power tranny. Siemen el34 and mullard preamp tubes. The question is has there ever been a all black OT because I've never seen one so I'm guessing it is a replacement?? Anyone. Thanks

14. rbt

rbt Member

Also no inspection sticker serial early 11000's how do I date this. Thanks again.

15. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I had 2 late 60's baby 50's.

The black output tranny has got to be a replacement, old or not. The laydown one is probably original.

FWIW: I dug my old plexi Marshalls... (I had 4 total), but sold them off in the early 90's. Money wise I wish I didn't... tone wise, IMO there are better replacements available on the boutique market today.

Personally, I would only still buy one as a collector, not a player.

BTW: I sold them each for $1200 in 1992. :(

16. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

The black tranny is not original., you should see the numbers on top of the tranny ending in 128, or I think 139, not sure of that one. 784-128 is for amps with el-34's . The replacement output tranny is why the amp is a great deal. I would negotiate based on that, but it probably is still worth looking into.

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

As long as extra holes haven't been drilled, it's not actually that big a deal - you can still find the right transformer if you know where to look.

The easiest source is another old 50W Marshall of about the same age that doesn't need to keep it - like a totally hacked example, or a metal-case PA amp (these are slightly different, with a 100V Line tap instead of the 4-ohm, but still basically the same on the 8 and 16-ohm taps). These amps have so little commercial value that it's worth buying them just for the parts. Even factoring in the cost of something like this and the work to swap it, $1,500 is a steal.

A dealer I work for just 'found' another JTM50 in a store he hadn't been in for a few years :) :eek:. It looks pretty clean and straight (so far, I haven't had the chassis out yet) but it will probably be three times that price when ready. Serial is 103xx, FWIW - looks like an early to mid '67.

18. rbt

rbt Member

Yeah I was kind of bummed. I think it is closer to a 68/69 as opposed to a 67. It sounds very good, haven't cranked her yet. Must admit finding the right ot is climbing up the list of my obsessions.

19. rbt

rbt Member

Well if anyone knows of one 784 etc ot even sick please let me know. I can get it rewound right or should I just get a Mercury Magnetics replacement? I have a 74 50w head with that # ot . Are they are different ?? Thanks for all your help and advice

20. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Does it have a JTM50 faceplate and a GZ34? If so, it's a '67 for sure - they changed to JMP50 and solid-state rectifiers well before the end of the year. The earliest SS-rec ones use the same PT though - you can see the winding tags for the tube rec filament - and have the same secondary voltage, so with SS diodes instead they run the B+ very high, usually just over the filter cap rating. They sound great though!

I could get you an OT, but probably easier to look over there first - postage would be quite expensive on one from the UK, they weigh a lot! (although still cheap compared to the value of the transformer really).