Marshall 6100LM Anniversary Series - Not Forgotten

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DiPa, Dec 7, 2017.

1. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

30 years had gone by and Marshall was King and ruling the rock and blues world since its founding.
    So many records and icons playing Marshalls, it was indeed a great time in the late 90s.

My Marshall 6100LM Anniv Series from the late 90s showcase.
    It was 30 years celebration of Marshall release.
    Tones from the past through the late 90s were incorporated.
    Its 3 channels is like having 3 separate amps in one.

3 independent channels with EQ and Gain per channel.
    Foot switch to switch each channel.

Channel 1 is a versatile clean channel, rich and mellow and glassy.
    Has a Bright switch and there is a mid shift switch as well.

Channel 2 is Crunch channel, gain selection takes you from fat creamy vintage blues to driving hard rock, and then metal. Lots of tonal and gain variation available.

Channel 3 is the Lead channel, lots of Marshall overdrive, has a gain boost switch and a contour switch setting. This one is on steroids.

Simple clip I quickly threw together today:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QDHPyTGXsafnMbqrDyuUSxXZzdv9Eyv_

indeedido, C-4, manimal and 2 others like this.
  2. AR-305

AR-305 Member

This is the undiscovered marshall of all time in my book. Interesting as well is that the combo version was shipped with an EVM 12L speaker. Had one of the early purple ones in for maintenance recently and would trade a truck load of their newer offerings for one of these babies.

indeedido likes this.
  3. Blix

Blix Member

I've been thinking about those sometimes, I've seen some sell quite cheap.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The only problem is that the channel switching was all done thru a midi matrix, and that turned out to be pretty sensitive to heat. When it goes, you can't switch channels. It's been re-engineered and there are instructions on how to fix it (I've got an address somewhere if you need it), but you won't likely get satisfaction from the local amp guy. But yeah, for sounds, that amp just killed! My combo actually had a Celestion 150w speaker, not the EV. Completely different magnet structure.

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

There are a number of variations of these. LM and non-LM. blue and black tolex. Limted edition with gold chassis. Then you get the EL34 and 5881 versions.

I had the 6101LE with EL34's and the LM mode done later. Very nice amp. Loved channel 1 and 2. Didn't care for channel 3. If you could make modes a,b, and c foot switchable on channel 2, I would probably still have the amp. After the 6101LE, I swore off marshall combos with PCBs due to them not handling the heat. I replaced the 6101LE with a Silver Jubilee 2553.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  6. AR-305

AR-305 Member

Yup the combo version was particularly problematic to overheating. Many of them also develop hum issues which require full recap. Channel two is the commensurate marshall sound and channel 3 is a lot sorta "boogie like"

Hamer95USA likes this.
  7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I agree with this statement. I'm a long time blue vinyl Marshall 6101 combo amp & 1912 1x12 closed back cab owner/user. It's my main gigging combo amp. The color of the vinyl is called Blue Levant. I had the MIDI switching board go out due to heat and had Keith from Amp Lab in Campbell, CA service the MIDI board when one of the components went out. I've had my Marshall 6101 combo amp serviced and it was back up and running. Running a fan on the back of the amp helps keep the amp cool since it doesn't have any amp vents, the tubes faces downwards, and heat rises up to the amp chassis. The Celestion G12 Gold (S303) 200W was basically a relabled EV12L speaker with a Celestion label that was painted in gold. Those speakers were only offered to the Marshall 6101 combo amps in Europe. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Guitar George

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    blackba and DiPa like this.
  8. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Cool amp for sure.

9. Custom50

Custom50 Member

My pal had one of the heads a few years back and I remember the 2nd channel sounding amazing.

I was bummed I didn't have the cash when he sold it.

10. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

There are plenty of 6100, 6100LM (with 5881 power tubes), 6100LE (blue or black vinyl) amp heads, 6101LE & 6101 (blue & black vinyl) combo amps, blue vinyl 6960A, 6960B, 6912 cabs in the used market. If you buy it, make sure you get the 3 button footswitch and owners manual to go with it as the amp is very feature laden. The full/half power and pentode/triode switches allows the amp head or combo amp to run from 100 watts full power/pentode, 50 watts half power/pentode, 50 watts full power/triode, 25 watts half power/triode. The attenuation/damping switch/clean channel on the 6100 amp head and 6101 combo amps makes it one of the most versatile Marshall amps out there.

Guitar George

11. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Local Dood was selling one a few years back, I could have snagged it for $600, guess I shoulda.

12. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I bought one from a pawn shop back in the day and played it quite a bit for a few years. It was a very nice sounding amp and covered a massive range of tones. I never had a problem with it, but the crazy wiring and circuit boards certainly freaked me out. I imagine it would be a nightmare to work on if something went wrong.

13. Sirloin

Sirloin Member

Yikes!!!
    [​IMG]

Trotter likes this.
  14. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Great sounding amp, that I have thought about buying a few times. The servicing scares me off every time.

15. skoora

skoora Member

I used one around '97 for a while. Was pretty good for the heavier band I was in. I wouldn't take it over a JMP 2203 and a pedal though. Lacks a certain richness in the mids and top end that the older circuits have. Had a good clean but I never played straight clean. Honestly I can't imagine choosing it over a JVM which even though are not amazing, I find them more useable. They're not expensive in the used market for a reason. They're just OK.

16. Neenja

Neenja Member

i personally think the JVM410 is better, more versatile, and easier to get parts for.

Trotter likes this.
  17. Neenja

Neenja Member

I think JVMs are a steal at 1k used. People just don't know what to do with them.

18. grumphh

grumphh Member

I have a 6101, and i'd say that that is a correct asessment. Definitely more JCM 900 than 800 to it.
    It has versatility going for it, and is by no means unusable, but in the "tone department" there are many other Marshalls i'd rather have - if i had the funds...

19. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

The EVM12L speaker is a very neutral sounding speaker. I usually dial the bass - 10:00, mid - 2:00, treble - 10:00 on Ch.2. Presence to taste. The 6101 combo amp has a biting top end. Dialing the highs back when used with the EVM12L speaker makes the amp more smooth and pleasing to listen to. I also dial the gain on Ch. 2 around 12:00 with Mode C button pushed in. Lots of gain! I like to dial Ch. 3 with gain on 2:00 and treble on 10:00 and a little more volume than Ch.2. If I want a little more sustain on Ch.3, I can push the gain button in to bring up more gain.

Guitar George

20. grumphh

grumphh Member

It also has a biting top end with cabs. It's a 900 in clever disguise.
    You can use the EQ to sort of fight the amps voicing so that it doesn't get to strident (essentially neutering the sound), but the real beef is in the way the amp (and the drive characteristic) is voiced - and you just can't dial that out.

A passive EQ like on marshalls will not really change the characteristic of the amp, and if you constantly try to fight it with eq (which i tend to do - i.e. find a setting that i like for a day or two, and then proceed to fiddle a bit more to find a better setting), well it's just not the right amp...
    And yes, i have had amps where i hardly ever touched the eq, because they simply didn't need fiddling - they just sounded good, pretty much no matter where you set the eq (bar extremes).