Marshall 8x10 info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by superthumbs, Sep 13, 2005.

1. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

I checked out some threads in the search function but didn't get exactly what I was looking for.

I was hoping to get some direction towards a good website that offers some info on these cabs. I am looking for some basics such as: differences between the years of production, how to date one, etc...

Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks

2. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

just saw a marshall 8x10 on ebay a few days ago.

3. Roe

Roe Member

try the plexipalace site. ask dunxb or someone.

i've heard that the first 8x10 cab had 10w speaker, but that these were replaced by 15 and 20 watters. this would give the latter models more bass and a tighter attack, i believe.

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

I've never gigged mine either, in the 11 years I've owned it.

Only taken it out of the house when I've moved .

6. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

Where there any that were 16 ohms? I have read this in a couple of places but I wasn't sure.

7. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Member

Yup. !0 and 15 watt Celestion 7442s. And some might be 9384s.

8. ampman72

ampman72 Guest

There is the model 1990 which is the same width as the small box head. These came out in the mids 60s.

[​IMG]

Later on, they also made a model 2034 which is the same width of a largebox head.

[​IMG]

These are pictures of of my beat up examples of these, the 1990 is from 1970 and the 2034 if from 76 or so.

The 1990 has the original 7442 10" celestions in it. Got pics of those if interested...

9. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

Definitely interested in all the pics I can see. I am picking up a cab tonight so I want to check it out properly. It is an 8x10 from '69 I believe, 16 ohm, all original and working speakers. A little rough on the tolex, but great shape on the grill cloth. I think it has the basket weave style grill cloth like the one in your first pic. I plan on using it mostly for recording and such, too frightened to take it to shows.

How wide is the 1990 (inches across)? I don't have a Marshall head to test if the width fits. Or better yet, where can I find the model #?

10. ampman72

ampman72 Guest

Here's the insides of the '70 1990:

[​IMG]

This is my wiring job, but it is in the style of the original. When I got it, it was sloppily wired with blue wire. Whoever did the recone on one of the speakers must have rewired the whole thing for some reason...:confused:

The 1990 is about 26" wide.

The model number should be on a small white plasitc tag tacked to bottom of the back panel, along with the serial number tag, which is roughly the same size below it. A lot of times this is missing, but I have at least one tag on all of my cabinets, lol!

11. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

Great! I appreciate all the info. I saw in a photo the guy sent me that there is one tag on the bottom of the cab, so we'll see which one it is.

12. DenimDemon

DenimDemon Member

I have a friend who gigs with a Marshall 8x10 on each side of the stage. Needless to say, I avoid helping those guys at load-out! They sound great though.

He found both of his through eBay.

-Mike

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

Thanks for the info., Ampman .
    Looks like mine is the later 2034 model .:)

14. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

Well I got the cab, it does have the 7442 original celestions, but it has been rewired. I would like to bring the wiring back to the original specs for the 16 ohm, model 1990. Were did you go to get your schematics.

15. ampman72

ampman72 Guest

I used a picture of a cabinet with the original wiring that was posted at the plexi palace to help with wiring mine. Here is the cab with the original wiring:
    [​IMG]

There was also a diagram that was posted in the same thread:
    [​IMG]

Note that the stock wiring will give you 8 ohms, and not 16. There is no way possible to get 16 ohms with eight 16 ohm speakers, only 8 ohms, 2 ohms or 32 ohms.

Now if the cab has eight 8 ohm speakers, you can get 16 ohms, 4 ohms, or 1 ohm, lol.

My 2034 has eight eminence 10s and they are 8 ohms each. So I have this one wired for 16 ohms.

16. superthumbs

superthumbs Member

17. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

so how do these sound???